Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem running some (not all) shortcuts in Windows 7 path

Evening all,

I'm having an issue running some applications on a Windows 7 machine.

Background - on my computers, I usually create a folder in the root of the C drive called pathapps which I add to my system path variable. I also add the extensions .LNK and .JAR to my pathext variable, to allow the execution of shortcuts and Jars.

Within pathapps, some executables are stored in the root folder and I can launch those fine from a Run box or the 'Search' box at the bottom of the Start menu. Others are stored in subfolders (rarely more than one level down though). For these apps, I create a shortcut to them in the root folder, to allow running them from a Run box - on XP at least, adding a folder to the path doesn't include its subfolders.

On this machine, under pathapps, there are two folders called KeePass-2.14 and PuTTY-x86. I'm sure I don't need to describe what's contained in those folders

In pathapps, there are the following shortcuts:
    • pageant to pageant.exe in PuTTY-x86
    • plink to plink.exe in PuTTY-x86
    • pscp to pscp.exe in PuTTY-x86
    • psftp to psftp.exe in PuTTY-x86
    • putty to putty.exe in PuTTY-x86
    • puttygen to puttygen.exe in PuTTY-x86
    • puttytel to puttytel.exe in PuTTY-x86
    • keepass to KeePass.exe in KeePass-2.14
    • pathapps to the folder C:\pathapps

The keepass and pathapps shortcuts work fine. Trying to launch any of the others from Run results in the error dialog "Windows cannot find '<shortcut name>'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

All of the shortcuts were created by copying the executables and pasting shortcuts. All of the shortcut icons are correct (suggesting that Windows is able to determine where they're pointing) and the Target and Start in attributes of each shortcut are correct.

I'm able to double click on the shortcuts in pathapps and the executable runs and I can start the app by entering the full path to the exe in the Run box. Entering the path to the shortcut file (for instance C:\pathapps\putty.lnk) at the Run box results in the same error though.

I'm not currently able to try this on any other Windows 7 machines. The executables were all downloaded from the relevant websites and I've unblocked them since downloading (in the exe file properties).

System is running OEM Windows 7, was Home Premium but I entered my Ultimate key before activating, so I'm running Win 7 Ultimate. Arch is x64. Fully up to date, except for SP1 - waiting until I get time to image the hard drive before I install that. Nothing of note in the event logs and no other issues with the machine.

I skipped the Windows 7 Beta, but installed the RC and didn't experience this problem. I also didn't have the problem on either XP or Vista.

Windows Defender is enabled, but disabling it makes no difference. Antivirus is NOD32 4 (AV, not Smart Security) - disabling that also makes no difference. I have Directory Opus installed as my Explorer substitute, but again, removing that makes no difference.

My user account owns the folder tree and all files within it and I have Full Control over them. I'm a local administrator and have the same problem regardless of whether UAC is enabled or disabled. Machine isn't on a domain. System volume is the only HDD partition, there are no NTFS volumes mounted as folders.

This is a relatively new machine - only a few months old. The shortcuts causing a problem have never worked on this machine. I've tried re-downloading the exes and recreating the shortcuts, without success.

I can move the executable to the root pathapps folder and then it works fine. The problem with doing this is that I will want to add various other executables in the future, some of which create config files and other detritus in the directory they're located in. For tidiness I would therefore want these ones to be in their own subfolder.

Don't really know what to try next. Researching the problem on Google hasn't revealed anyone else having this problem. If anyone has any suggestions it'd be greatly appreciated

Let me know if any more info required.
    Last edited by gforceindustries; 5th April 2011, 22:17.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: Problem running some (not all) shortcuts in Windows 7 path

Adding this as a separate post in order to aid readability. The following is the output of running set at a command prompt when logged in as myself.

ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
    APPDATA=C:\Users\d445r4\AppData\Roaming
    asl.log=Destination=file
    BURN_AUTOPLAY=C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio\OEM\Roxio Burn\
    CLASSPATH=.;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\ext\QTJava.zip
    CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
    CommonProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files
    CommonProgramW6432=C:\Program Files\Common Files
    COMPUTERNAME=HERACLITUS
    ComSpec=C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
    EMC_AUTOPLAY=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\OEM\
    FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
    HOMEDRIVE=C:
    HOMEPATH=\Users\d445r4
    LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\d445r4\AppData\Local
    LOGONSERVER=\\HERACLITUS
    NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=8
    OMP_NUM_THREADS=8
    OS=Windows_NT
    Path=C:\pathapps;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\Sys tem32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v 1.0\;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;c:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\;c:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\syswow64;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\OEM\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\OEM\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\OEM\12.0\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio\OEM\AudioCore\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\
    PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WS F;.WSH;.MSC;.LNK;.JAR
    PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=AMD64
    PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5, GenuineIntel
    PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
    PROCESSOR_REVISION=1e05
    ProgramData=C:\ProgramData
    ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
    ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)
    ProgramW6432=C:\Program Files
    PROMPT=$P$G
    PSModulePath=C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell \v1.0\Modules\
    PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public
    QTJAVA=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\ext\QTJava.zip
    RCAUTOPLAY=C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio\OEM\Roxio Central 5\
    SESSIONNAME=Console
    SystemDrive=C:
    SystemRoot=C:\Windows
    TEMP=C:\Users\d445r4\AppData\Local\Temp
    TMP=C:\Users\d445r4\AppData\Local\Temp
    USERDOMAIN=heraclitus
    USERNAME=d445r4
    USERPROFILE=C:\Users\d445r4
    windir=C:\Windows
    Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Let me go do some testing on my windows 7 box and get back to you.

Comment

Thanks.

I have been able today to test this on a Windows 7 Professional x64 domain member (also an OEM). I copied the folder structure from my laptop over to it, so the executables are the same version and the shortcuts are untouched. All of the shortcuts work perfectly on here.

If it's of any relevance...

I'm a domain admin, Windows is fully up to date except for SP1 (we're not deploying that just yet). UAC is disabled for domain admins (don't know why, not my policy) - not that that should be relevant though since disabling UAC on my machine made no difference.
        Gareth Howells

Comment

... and this has just stopped working. No changes made to any of the files or shortcuts or any environment variables. None of the shortcuts are working from the Run box - double clicking the shortcut or entering the path to the exe is fine though.

Antivirus is McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0i, Windows Defender is disabled.

Edit: On the domain member, this is now working again following a reboot. Prior to the reboot, I noticed that the folder in question was in the Path when editing environment variables in System properties, but wouldn't show up when running set at the command prompt. Following the reboot, it appears in both. All shortcuts are now working on the domain member.

In the three months that I've had the laptop at home though, it has been rebooted several times
          Last edited by gforceindustries; 6th April 2011, 10:37.
          Gareth Howells

Comment

An update.

In a move that can only be described (in a very gruff accent) as totally illogical Jim, all shortcuts are now working perfectly.

The only change I've made is to uninstall a printer driver that's been installed since day 1. For reference, it's for a Brother HL-2030.

Let's see how long it lasts before breaking again
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
            X