Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing to local printer from inside VPN session

Hi All,

My boss uses his Windows 7 PC at home to make a VPN connection to his PC in the office. His local PC at home has an HP printer connected to it. He wants to be able to print from within his VPN session, that is, if say a Word document is on his PC in the office, it needs to print to his printer at home.

The VPN session is initiated using the standard Windows 7 networking feature to create a new VPN session.

Then a Remote Desktop Session is created, using say mstsc.

I know this can be done, but I am stuck. This is what I have done so far:

- Installed the printer's driver's onto the PC in the office, and at his home.
    - Shared the printer at home. The printer works fine at home.
    - In the Remote Desktop's Local Resources tab, I have ticked Printers.

But when we try to print from the PC in the office, we do not get an option to print to the local printer at home, and I also am unable to setup the printer either.

Should it be attached to a specific port?

So please, thanks to anyone who can help, what am I doing wrong, and / or is there a definitive guide to this feature somewhere?

Many thanks.

Re: Printing to local printer from inside VPN session

you shouldn't need to share the printer at home at all.

All you should need to do is connect to RDP, and ensure that you're using the local resource pass through option.

Try it out with local disk drives and see if it works
    (also, is your boss an admin on his PC at work ?)
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Make sure "Printers" is ticked in the Local Sources settings of the RDP.

Try adding the driver of the printer home to the PC in the office. That might be the problem.

Comment

Thanks tehcamel...

- I had seen elsewhere that sharing may be required! So I will disable that.

- I had ticked Printers in Local Resources, is this what you mean by "using the local resource pass through option" or is that something else?

- My boss is an admin.

- I hadn't tried it with drives.

Thanks Joachim...

- I have ticked Printers in Local Resources but I can not see the printer from the PC in the office, it doesn't detect it ;-(

Comment

yea, local resource passthru is basicall y what you've already mentioned

does it work with drives ?
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Both the Windows 7 PC at home and his PC in the office have a 32-bit OS (both Windows 7 32-bit ??)?

Have you tried also using the HP Universal Print Driver on the office pc?

What printer errors can you find in the eventlog on the office pc?

/Rems
            Last edited by Rems; 5th April 2011, 18:52.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

what versions of windows 7 are they? ie home, business, ultimate.
              What i am not clear on is the part about

"But when we try to print from the PC in the office, we do not get an option to print to the local printer at home, and I also am unable to setup the printer either."

are you doing this using remote desktop from the home PC.

also make sure the print spooler service is running on both machines
              Life's a breeze, so spread your wings and fly baby

Comment

Hi all,

- I haven't yet had a chance to revisit my boss's home to see if it works with drives.

- We are using Windows 7 Pro 32-bit on both machines.

- I have installed the HP Universal Print Driver on the office PC.

- J0K3R, yes, I am usig remote desktop from the home PC.

- Printer Spooler service is running on both machines.

Btw, I have come across this, what do you make of it...

sevenforums.com/network-sharing/30321-remote-desktop-not-working-local-printer.html

Thanks for your help.

Comment

I don't think it can be done, because when you make a VPN connection he should not have access to the network resources on his home network. While VPN'ed he should be on the company network and not have access to the printer, router, etc on his own home network. I don't think setting the RDP session to use local resources will work in this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatecomputers View Post
                    I don't think it can be done, because when you make a VPN connection he should not have access to the network resources on his home network. While VPN'ed he should be on the company network and not have access to the printer, router, etc on his own home network. I don't think setting the RDP session to use local resources will work in this situation.
                    nope mate, you're not quite right. it depends on how your VPN is setup as to what resources you have access to.

some organisations do not allow split horizon, others do. (split horizon: where once I'm connected to the vpn, I can see the company network and my own network)
                    if you're not allowing split horizon, you can normally only see the vpn network

i can guarantee that redirecting local resources does work over a vpn, both restricted and non-restricted

Comment

Hi,

I visited my boss's home today and still could not print, despite 'printers' being selected in local resources. However, as you suggested, when 'drivers' (C drive) was selected, I was able to see the local C drive from the remote PC, making copy and paste easy anyway.

So I am stuck again, our ISP manage the firewall and I have written to them for advice, including your 'split horizon' option. Hopefully they will have a solution.

Thank you.

Comment

Have you checked event viewer on both machines to see if any errors are logged?

We have found in the past that you need the exact same version of the driver at both ends. If one driver doesn't work then maybe try different versions. You will have to tell the local printer which one to use manually.

Comment

Working...
                        X