Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Program needs admin privs

Hi all,

I have a windows 7 machines and it is on a domain with both 2003 and 2008 DC's.

The problems is there is one program that has the admin sheild on it and needs admin privs to run. Even if I give the full control to the user

When I run a GPRESULT I see and "Medium Mandatory Level" on the users security groups and not sure if it's related.

Not sure where else to look or try so any advice is much appreciated.

Re: Program needs admin privs

If UAC is enabled, right click the icon and click run as administrator, have you tried that?
    "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

Originally posted by Managor View Post
      If UAC is enabled, right click the icon and click run as administrator, have you tried that?
      Well yeah I have and can, but that won't help the user since she does not and will not know the admin password. The wierd thing is, this is only happening on one Win7 machine and the rest are fine.

Anything I install on that machine as an admin the user should be able to use as long as I have not enabled any Software Restrictions in which I have not. So I don't know why this machine is locking this program down like that.

Comment

On the other Windows 7 machines that are fine, are you running this particular application?

What does the app vendor say?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Have you tried uninstalling the program and installing it again?

Or you can try to go to Control Pannel - User accounts and change the settings voor user account management.

Comment

Mudd, have you checked this User's permissions in the appropriate areas (Program Files, their Temp folder etc) to make sure they and run the app?

What happens if you add this User to the local Power Users group?

Does the app run fully locally or does it have a front and back end (eg. does it access a database on the Server?)

Any clues coming from errors in the Even Viewer?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              On the other Windows 7 machines that are fine, are you running this particular application?

What does the app vendor say?
              Yes, this application is running on other win7 and XP machines and this is not a problem at all. I have not spoken to the app vendor cause most likely he'll point out the problem is with permissions. I have since then gave the domain group on that machine only full right to that directory and sub directories to see if that clears the problem for this one machine.

I'll keep you updated on that and thanks for you help.

Comment

Originally posted by Joachim View Post
                Have you tried uninstalling the program and installing it again?

Or you can try to go to Control Pannel - User accounts and change the settings voor user account management.
                I have not tried that no, but would be great if that was an easy fix. I'm thinking it's related to permission though, just not sure why it's only happening to this one machine.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  Mudd, have you checked this User's permissions in the appropriate areas (Program Files, their Temp folder etc) to make sure they and run the app?

What happens if you add this User to the local Power Users group?

Does the app run fully locally or does it have a front and back end (eg. does it access a database on the Server?)

Any clues coming from errors in the Even Viewer?
                  I just did that and gave domain users full rights to that directory and sub directories to see if it clears the problem for this one machine, but modify rights have been working just fine for every other machine (xp & 7) with modify rights applies from a domain GPO.

I have the domain users added to the Power users group alread for this very purpose and it is applied to the machines via GPO.

This app does run locally, but has the capabilities to run from a terminal server via remote apps which is great and never needs updating to the local machine, but traditionally we copy a folder to the C: drive and it runs from there on a SQL engine and accesses a SQL database.

Comment

Try this:
                    Right click the EXE file, go to the Compatibility tab. At the bottom, check "Run this program as an administrator" under "Privilege Level". Next, click on the "Change settings for all users" button and on the new window, under "Privilege Level" check the "Run this program as an administrator" checkbox. Click Apply+OK on both open windows and run the program. It should ask you for the admin credentials only first time, and save the credentials for later uses.
                    Let us know if it solved the issue.
                    Last edited by sorinso; 23rd April 2011, 19:18.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                      Try this:
                      Right click the EXE file, go to the Compatibility tab. At the bottom, check "Run this program as an administrator" under "Privilege Level". Next, click on the "Change settings for all users" button and on the new window, under "Privilege Level" check the "Run this program as an administrator" checkbox. Click Apply+OK on both open windows and run the program. It should ask you for the admin credentials only first time, and save the credentials for later uses.
                      Let us know if it solved the issue.
                      Hi, I fixed it by resetting the permissions on the file and folder for the program for the user. I will definitely try your way if I shoud ever come across this same issue again.

Comment

Working...
                      X