Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Security: The User Account does not exist

Hello all,

I am having a issue with a windows 7 pro machine logging on to the domain. The message we are getting is below. The domain is a windows 2000 domain in which we have a number of windows 7 machines logged on to ok but I am having a issue getting this one on.

The machine joins to the domain ok and will logon as the Domain administrator but will not logon as any other user newly created or existing. The two Dc's have passed DCdiag without any problems. I am deleted the computer account and tried to created it manually but it still wont logon, I have tried a number of computer names too.

I have been searching on-line and there isn't too much on it.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Soft..._26839929.html

Has anyone come across this before?

Thanks,
    Simon
    Kind Regards,
    Simon

Re: Windows Security: The User Account does not exist

What username are you using to try and logon to the domain?

*@*.com
    or *\*
    "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

get rid of ALL the HP tools, especiallyt the security tools. I haven't found thme to do anything but make a great big dirty mess reminiscent of an unhouse-trained dog when used in a corporate environment.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yes, i had seen that one, though his problem looks to be the same, What he is trying to do is irrelevant to what i am trying to do. He is trying to skip the logon screen. I am logging into a domain and do not wish to setup automatic login. I just want to be "Able" to login.

The problem is fixed now, i created a new account and used a different variation of my first name. Aside from that though and i havent been able to dig deeper yet but my new account had done the same thing the second day. The last thing i did was add myself to some groups in AD to get access to certain things. Then the error started. So i removed myself from all but the core groups and can login again. So it def appears to be some sort of group setting, but i havent been able to locate which group caused it or why at this time. working to locate the group setting...

if you get this error is remove yourself from all non essential groups 1 at a time and test your login after each one. If its the same problem i have, 1 of the built in groups i think is setup in a strange way

Comment

Thanks for your tips guys!

The @domain doesnt work either... I am trying to logon to the domain.

I have tried to create new users with just the default groups and I still can't get logged on.

Getting annoying now

Cheers,
          Si
          Kind Regards,
          Simon

Comment

Can you confirm that you have tried both

Code:
            username
            and

Code:
            DOMAINNAME\username
            where DOMAINNAME is the single-label representation of your FQDN. So if your AD domain is mycompany.local, DOMAINNAME would probably be mycompany.

When logged in as the domain administrator, have a look at the event logs and see if there are any issues highlighted.

Run gpupdate /force as the administrator to force the computer to get the current security policies from the network.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              Can you confirm that you have tried both

Code:
              username
              and

Code:
              DOMAINNAME\username
              where DOMAINNAME is the single-label representation of your FQDN. So if your AD domain is mycompany.local, DOMAINNAME would probably be mycompany.

When logged in as the domain administrator, have a look at the event logs and see if there are any issues highlighted.

Run gpupdate /force as the administrator to force the computer to get the current security policies from the network.
              Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

I have always logged on with Domain\username with windows 7

There are no errors in the eventlog on the client or the domain controller... Its most odd.

Thanks,
              Simon
              Kind Regards,
              Simon

Comment

Did you run gpupdate?

FYI, unless it is not the case with a Windows 2000 domain (which I'm unable to test), you don't need to specify the domain when logging in to Windows 7 (or Vista) if you're logging on to the domain to which the machine is joined. If you want to logon as a local user account or to another domain, then yes you would need to include the domain (or computer) name,
                Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Did you run gpupdate?

FYI, unless it is not the case with a Windows 2000 domain (which I'm unable to test), you don't need to specify the domain when logging in to Windows 7 (or Vista) if you're logging on to the domain to which the machine is joined. If you want to logon as a local user account or to another domain, then yes you would need to include the domain (or computer) name,
                  Good info thanks!

I have ran Gpupdate I am just in the middle of removing the Hp crap so will give it another shot shortly!

Thanks!
                  Kind Regards,
                  Simon

Comment

Did you run gpupdate?

Hi,

The problem still exists after a gpupdate and a restart.......

Anything else I can try?

Thanks,
                    Si
                    Kind Regards,
                    Simon

Comment

I have just logged in!

Tried another Gpupdate/force and logged in straight away! How very odd!

Thanks for your suggestion!

Si
                      Kind Regards,
                      Simon

Comment

It must be like rebooting 3 times when the website is down

Glad you were able to get it working in the end - lets hope it was a fluke and you're over the problems now.

As an aside, I'd advise updating your NIC drivers, particularly if it's a Broadcom chip *. Can't imagine why a driver issue would stop your machine seeing certain user accounts in AD, but it could potentially cause gpupdate to possibly not work correctly. Although that should give you an error message...

* I've spent my morning wrestling with a Broadcom controller and have now taken it out of the machine and stamped on it. As has everyone else in the department. And ordered a nice Intel card to replace it
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

It must be like rebooting 3 times when the website is down

Glad you were able to get it working in the end - lets hope it was a fluke and you're over the problems now.

As an aside, I'd advise updating your NIC drivers, particularly if it's a Broadcom chip *. Can't imagine why a driver issue would stop your machine seeing certain user accounts in AD, but it could potentially cause gpupdate to possibly not work correctly. Although that should give you an error message...

* I've spent my morning wrestling with a Broadcom controller and have now taken it out of the machine and stamped on it. As has everyone else in the department. And ordered a nice Intel card to replace it
                          Funny you should mention the broadcom! There was a driver update that I done on the problem machine today just before the final gpupdate..... Maybe it was part of the problem!

Thanks again!

Si
                          Kind Regards,
                          Simon

Comment

I had a very similar problem earlier on today with a HP 8100 Desktop. It had been in use previously by a few others but when either myself or another guy tried logging in it just came up with that message mentioned in the first post.

This W7 box is part of a Win2K domain of which we already have a fair few W7 boxes joined.

The problem I think in my case was that one of the previous users had enabled "Windows Logon Security" under "HP Protect Tools Administrative Console". Once this was unticked we were both able to log into the box. This setting seems to prevent you from logging into the local box with an account it doesn't already know about. PITA if you ask me as it causes more problems than it's worth and isn't easy to track down.

Comment

Have you by any change set up restricted groups and stopped anyone logging onto the computer?
                              Tom Jones
                              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                              X