Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 7 Clients... Should we have a Windows 2008 Server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Clients... Should we have a Windows 2008 Server?

Hi all,

I just wanted a general opinion really, We have started installing Windows 7 clients in our office enviroment,

Should we be looking at also having a Windows 2008 server on the network, for printing etc, any other possible issues...

Thanks,

Re: Windows 7 Clients... Should we have a Windows 2008 Server?

nah it's not essential, it just gets you some extra gp prefs and stuff

what you might notice though, is that w7 and vista are, more commonly than not, x64
    where as your w2k3 server is more like x32.. so sometimes you might have print driver issues
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

So I should be OK then if I push the x64 drivers upto the 2k3 server from a Windows 7 client...

Comment

Should be, and 90% of the time will be.

HP and Canon drivers are causing us major problems though. If I can find it I'll link to the KB, but there's a hotfix for Windows 7 which isn't in SP1 which fixes the problem most of the time (I'll also post the error number when I'm back at work tomorrow).
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X