Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 SP1 mass failure

Wow, what is up with Windows 7 SP1?

4 PC's today died due to SP1 not installing correctly (pushed via WSUS). Had to go in via Recovery Tools and manually copy over the regback hives.

Many more (5+) fail from Windows Update, inc my own personal PC which is immaculately maintained.

I have gone through all my client WSUS servers and declined the update manually now until some light is shed on this.

Many reports also of people's machine's being stuck on 15% for >2hrs stuck installing. I know some have just turned off their laptops via the power button, becuase they couldnt be bothered to wait, even against my objections.

x64 and x86 machines. Some are basically brand new with nothing more than Office installed.

Tomorrow is going to be a good day...

Re: Windows 7 SP1 mass failure

Any commonality between machines which have failed? I remember when XP SP3 was released, a lot of people running AMD CPUs were unable to boot Windows once they upgraded.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Have you got any AV software interfeering with the installation?
      Also try installing the misterious KB976902 update first. That update had generated a bit of rumour around it initially: http://krebsonsecurity.com/2010/10/d...ckhole-update/

I am having a similar issue with a Win 7 Pro x64 which I am still looking at.
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Given the size and the time it takes for older machines to install the update, I could consider the number of machines and the software installed and perhaps look at building a new image with SP1 installed and deploy an already updated image.

Remember, just because SP1 is available, you don't have to push it out UNTIL you have properly tested the installation.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi guys

I cant think of any common ground to be honest. Desktop/Laptop, AMD/Intel, 32/64bit, Pro/Ultimate, HP/Dell/Samsung/Sony/Custom!

AV is either MS Essentials, FortiClient or McAfee - not turned off.

Im going to leave the update declined in WSUS until I have fully tested a machine on each site...I didnt even realise SP1 was released until all the problems hit!

I'll try that update on my own PC first - thanks.

Comment

This is a known problem when rolling out sp1.

You must uninstall microsoft security essentials before applying sp1.

I have had the same problem and that solution worked for me.

Comment

The update L4ndy linked to worked for most machines. Still have 1 or 2 that still will not update but I havent yet uninstalled AV etc.

Majority of other machines seem to have coped fine!

Comment

ok - we've experienced this across a number of our sites.

If you have a Windows 7 OEM image, and it's had the SP1 update pushed out via WSUS, it will break.

I've got a fix somewhere, let me dig it up
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

this fixed it on our machines:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975484

more on this here:
                  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03...1_fatal_error/
                  Last edited by tehcamel; 1st April 2011, 10:58.
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks!

Any way of making WSUS install SP1 on its own and not with other updates? Or is this going to be a manual affair

Comment

Assuming all of your Windows 7 machines are fully patched other than the SP (ie they already have all of the other approved updates installed), then yes you could approve the service pack by itself.

More realistically though, then no.
                      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Oh well.

I'll keep it disabled in wsus and slowly go round manually each time Im at a client site to upgrade then.

Thanks.

Comment

Yeah, it seems like it's a problem only when SP1 is pushed out via WSUS. I have a client with 5 or 6 Win7 systems being updated this way - only one of them choked on the SP1 install.

I used a fix someone posted, something about editing an .XML file or something. It got the system going, but I am now told that the system is now "broken" and many (if not all) updates won't install.

Microsoft isn't rushing to fix it, becasue they don't read the forums, just count calls to their support center. Not enough people have called in, so they are just idling along, not too upset about it. Friggin' jacka**es! All the aggravation that THEY cause, and they want us and out clients to stop whatever we're doing and accomodate them so they will fix their problem!

Anyway, if you do as was perviously suggested and disable service packs from auto-installing via WSUS, you should avoid this mess. Unfortunately, most happen upon this posting becasue they are already in trouble and want a fix. I don't have one - call MS. Since it's from their stupid auto-update program, they should help without charging you.

Comment

Ooops, got on my soapbox and forgot my original reason for posting:

I'm looking for a fix for a system on which we tried the so-called "pending.xml file edit". It does get the system running again easily, but as I said it puts Windows into a "broken" state - says SP1 is installed, but it isn't.

If anyone stumbles upon a "real" fix, I'd appreciate it if they'd post it here...

Comment

Microsoft have released a fix for this error.

An update that prevents a "0xC0000034" error message when you try to install Windows 7 SP1 or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 is available

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533552
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X