No announcement yet.

Windows 7 can't solve hostnames in domain

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 can't solve hostnames in domain

I have a new Dell with Windows 7 32-bit joined to my domain (work domain). My problem: I can ping all the hostnames inside my LAN, but when I try to ping our corporate mail server using the hostname it does not resolve it. I can ping the mail server IP address and get a reply. Is there a security setting I need to turn off? My Windows XP workstations work perfectly.
    I have McAfee Enterprise Anti-virus and Windows Firewall turn on.
    Thanks in advance for your replies.

Re: Windows 7 can't solve hostnames in domain

Where is the corporate mail server - in a DMZ or on the Internet?

Please post the result of an ipconfig /all from the Windows 7 PC and let us know the IP (anonymised as appropriate) of the mail server.

What are you using for DNS?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

you can test what mode the firewall is, i have had a similar issue when it was in public network mode.
      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Thanks to everyone that posted a reply. The problem was fixed by appending an extra DNS suffix and adding a corporate DNS server ip address.