Win 7 SP1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 7 SP1

Installed SP1 on my 2008 R2 DCs easily, and then tried to install on two Win 7 Ult computers.

Both hang, neither completes, either by using Windows Update downloading, or by using a DVD of SP1. Different computer models, but both have been updated consistently and basically work well normally.

This abnormal, or what?

Re: Win 7 SP1

Installed it on Win7 Ult yesterday and no problems using downloaded version
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No problems here using windows update (W7).
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Learning process: one Win 7 computer took over two days to finish the SP1 update, including a retry, because the ISP, based in Carlton U, crashed, and the update gave an error until the internet reappeared. Actually, it isn't finished yet, because it is shutting down and has been at 15% for a while now. When it restarts, it might be April, at this rate.

The other, because of a fatal error, necessitated the reinstallation of the OS, which, of course, was Win 7 Ult SP1, plus all of the software: not finished yet!
        Last edited by dickins_paul; 27th February 2011, 22:59. Reason: More info

Comment

Originally posted by dickins_paul View Post
          Learning process: one Win 7 computer took over two days to finish the SP1 update, including a retry, because the ISP, based in Carlton U, crashed, and the update gave an error until the internet reappeared. Actually, it isn't finished yet, because it is shutting down and has been at 15% for a while now. When it restarts, it might be April, at this rate.

The other, because of a fatal error, necessitated the reinstallation of the OS, which, of course, was Win 7 Ult SP1, plus all of the software: not finished yet!
          Download the SP directly, and then install.

Comment

That was done! I have SP1 on DVD. And now, after restart, the error C000009A applying update operation 118861 of 337079 (\Registry\...)
            A restart with the DVD in the drive enabled a repair to an earlier working state: that turned out to be worthwhile. Back to Win 7 Ult without SP1: it is working and all the settings are as before. Relief!

I have been a techie, now retired, for years, and this is an inexcusable process, and I don't like being told to suck eggs, if you don't mind!

What I am doing is simply stating what my experience has been, for your knowledge base.

And, the latest fubar: installed Win 7 Ult SP1 from DVD. Installed Office 2010, etc., etc. Ran the Windows Update, which included languages. Restarted. Now it is re-installing all of the updates for a non-SP1 machine????

This machine, in System, stated it was SP1. Utterly crass situation. And, I have been involved with Windows since 3.1 Workstation, and 3.1 Server, and never had this happen!
            Last edited by dickins_paul; 28th February 2011, 03:54. Reason: Further info, encore

Comment

Originally posted by dickins_paul
              I don't like being told to suck eggs, if you don't mind!
              Would this be Goose Eggs, Duck Eggs, Chicken Eggs or Easter Eggs Paul?

Did the SP1 update crash part way through when you were installing it from Windows Update (online) or from the DVD?
              Have you tried doing anything from Safe Mode (assuming it responds to that)?

While you may not have had issues with Updates from Win 3.x and on, it must be remembered that others did PLUS the Windows Server 2008 R2 / Windows 7, SP1 is, as big as a full Windows 2000 install. This can only mean there are going to be install problems on some hardware platforms.

Out of curiosity, what are the hardware specs of this troublesome update?
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X