Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prevent a driver from updating...

hey there:

i've got a win7 pro box in our conference room, as a dedicated video conferencing box. the win7 vga driver drives our 52" sony monitor, but the intel drivers for the intel chipset, do not. so, i disabled the intel drivers, and everything works. until, that is, the last round of windows updates, when a new chipset driver got pushed, which re-enabled the driver. of course, we didn't know about it until an executive conference was starting. cue the scrambling! so...

how do i permanently exclude these drivers from updating (and subsequently re-enabling)?

thx!

Re: prevent a driver from updating...

Driver installs are not critical updates as far as i'm aware so don't select anything other than criticals.

Or move to WSUS and control it via that.

Comment

Could also uninstall it if you're not using it, and if you see it in WU tell it to never show again.
      "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

Have you used driver rollback?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

let's take these in reverse order...

ossian: well, rollback is an after-the-fact proposition. i just want to block the driver from getting updated without having to be hands-on every month.

managor: yes, unistalling works. but, it gets re-installed on every reboot, unless i disable it.

wullieb1: as far as i know, device drivers are generally not critical, but this update did get pushed via automatic updates, so, maybe it was critical...?

we do have system center for managing updates. i guess i'll have to move this one pc into its own group to block this driver. i was really hoping to be able to handle client-side, though.

so, thanks everybody! if y'all got any more ideas, i'd love to hear 'em!

Comment

Installed as a Plug N Play device?

Would this help?
            Last edited by Managor; 23rd February 2011, 20:20.
            "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

wow, that looks really interesting, thx! i'll post back when i get a chance to implement...

Comment

dang! that was looking real good, until i rebooted. windows then reinstalled the driver. dang! (thx, though!)

Comment

Working...
                X