Dual booting Windows 7 and Windows Vista - 2 separate HDD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual booting Windows 7 and Windows Vista - 2 separate HDD

I have Windows 7 Ultimate installed on 1TB HDD and Windows Vista installed on a 320 GB HDD. The 320 GB was the original HD that came with my PC. On my mothernboard I connected this HD and it became a slave HD. I connected my new 1TB HD, installed Windows 7 Ultimate and my PC boots up from this hard drive. I am able to navigate to the secondary 320GB HD and acess the files there
    Now I want to boot from either drive, is this possible? If so what do I need to do to achived this? Thanks in advanced for any replies.

Re: Dual booting Windows 7 and Windows Vista - 2 separate HDD

Hi TTomy,

It is possible to dual boot operating systems but in your case it would require to reinstall of of them, from the explanation of your setup it would seem that the one you need to reinstall is the Vista OS as your Win7 is your os on the master drive, when you reinstall Vista on the slave drive during the install Vista will see that there is already a OS on the main drive and create a boot menu for you, so everytime you boot it will ask you which os you want to start.

Why not try virtualising Vista on your Win7 os, try virtualbox completely free virtualisation software formerly of Sun now Oracle. If you virtualise it you can mess around with it all you want and when your done just delete it.

Best of luck,
    K

Comment

Easiest way I have found is to use EasyBCD from http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 It allows you to add operating systems and give you a menu to choose which O/S you wish to boot from at startup.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Use XPMode (VirtualPC) and install Vista as a guest OS
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You rock! This solution worked, very easy to follow. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X