X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with SYSPREP

Hello there,

I've been tring to create a system image for disterbution and no success

I have DELL OPTIPLEX 980 computers that i formated and install apps (like office 2007, ADOBE CS5, AUTODESK 3DMAX and MAYA)

I Installed OS from the dell DVD that came with the computers (WIN7 PRO x64)
    after i finished all the installtions i used the SYSPREP OOBE+GENERALIZE
    so i will be able to create a WIM image and use WDS to disterbute it

i uncountered this problem, when the system is turning on after sysprep
    I get to the point where "windows is starting services" and get an error dialogue box: "windows was unable to finish configuring the system.....restart....

so basically the image didn't work on the computer that it was made on
    and other computers as well (same error)

i attached 2 pictures with the setuperr.log (i found this file in 2 diffrent locations - as you can see)

h**p://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7656/img0167pg.jpg

h**p://img225.imageshack.us/img225/3806/img0171j.jpg

(change h**p in HTTP)

I realy don't know the cause to this problem
    anyone have an idea?

p.s.
    I've been tring using GHOST, it isn't working either
    when i unpacked it all goes well - unpack was successful
    it created a corrapted partition and FIXBOOT, FIXMBR, SCANOS, REBUILD from the windows 7 repair wasn't able to fix the partition

p.s. 2
    When i used SYSPREP+OOBE without GENERALIZE the image worked only on the computer that it was made on.

hope i gave you all enough info so we can work this think out

Mosh

Re: Problem with SYSPREP

Hi Mosh,

You say you are using the oem DVD that came with the PC's to build the reference image, have you got a volume license key or are you planning to use the individual keys attached to each PC?

How many pc's are you planning to delpoy?
    Mark Couch
    A+, MCTS, MCITP(SA, EDA7)
    South Wales, UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Couch View Post
      Hi Mosh,

You say you are using the oem DVD that came with the PC's to build the reference image, have you got a volume license key or are you planning to use the individual keys attached to each PC?

How many pc's are you planning to delpoy?
      dell has this thing that when you install from the DVD that came with the computer
      it automaticly activate then computer since it recogzine that this is a dell optiplex machine

probably since they all come with win7 license as part of the specs of the machine

its the same DVD to all

planning to deploy on 15 machines

mosh

Comment

Originally posted by moshikoy View Post
        dell has this thing that when you install from the DVD that came with the computer
        it automaticly activate then computer since it recogzine that this is a dell optiplex machine

probably since they all come with win7 license as part of the specs of the machine

its the same DVD to all

planning to deploy on 15 machines

mosh
        I never try the OEM on Virtual, but Moshikoy said.. Dell OEM OS will recognize their system if you install on theirs. Itz embeded in the BIOS. Now when you put it on VM you might have a problem with the license key because it a different bio.

Thanks,
        HN

Comment

does this help at all ?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...9-8229f1e91514

try this too, see if it gives you any insight
          http://technodrone.blogspot.com/2011...nd-mak_17.html
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one with that same problem, it occurs here to, I've had to redo the image 4 times already.

Also, if you don't /generalize, then it wont work on other hardware specced machines.

I'm trying a VLK right now, will let you know if I have any luck.
            "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

Originally posted by Managor View Post
              I'm glad I'm not the only one with that same problem, it occurs here to, I've had to redo the image 4 times already.

Also, if you don't /generalize, then it wont work on other hardware specced machines.

I'm trying a VLK right now, will let you know if I have any luck.
              Thanks
              Let me know...

did you check the setuperr.log files? what did it show in your logs?

I'm doing some more testing, i'll let you know if there will be any progress

cheers
              Mosh

Comment

Can you confirm the sequence of events for me?

You said this error occurs on the reboot after sysprepping, however normally you wouldn't do a standard reboot after sysprep but PXE boot to WDS to capture the image for deployment. Have you done that and the re-deployed image isn't working, or is the reference machine being captured another way?
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                  Can you confirm the sequence of events for me?

You said this error occurs on the reboot after sysprepping, however normally you wouldn't do a standard reboot after sysprep but PXE boot to WDS to capture the image for deployment. Have you done that and the re-deployed image isn't working, or is the reference machine being captured another way?
                  I've captured the image and deployed it on another computer and show the error message
                  so i went back to the reference computer to check if it is working on that computer and it showed the same error.

Comment

UPDATE:
                    Another unsuccessful try
                    I DeActivated the windows 7 License on that computer and tried syspreping it that way
                    the SYSPREP FAILED in the Generalizing process

Mosh

Comment

So even with the VL key it failed?

A+ CE

Comment

Hi there,

Last summer I had a number of failures with the sysprep generalize option which failed as you describe in your first post. There may be differences however with the installation media, programs installed etc. Below are some things you should try:

1. Keep your first image creation simple, try creating the first image as a basic install and then capture and test. If it fails at this stage then you are just wasting time.

2. If sucessful add a program and then create another image. If you have time keep doing this until you are happy.

3. Avoid connecting to a domain, My main cause of failure was a reference to a network printer that I was hoping to install for all users. Once the image is syspreped and generalised it knows nothing about the domain and the image will fail as you describe.

4. Do all the work in Audit mode, CTRL-SHIFT -F3 when asked for language settings etc

5. Create a basic unattend.xml file with copy profile setting and skip rearm to allow you to copy default custom setting to all users. Skip rearm allows you to sysprep the same image approx 8 times compared to only 3 if the rearm is reset back to 30 days.

6. if you do reference the network or domain to access install files, programs etc during your customistaion, unjoin and delete any domain accounts. I personally install any programs locally from a USB drive as my failures were due to the computer having been part of the domain and or the printer issue above.

7. Do not sysprep if there are any outstanding windows updates, install and reboot untill they are complete. Again this can cause failures.

8. Be careful with anti virus products that you install, Mcafee seems to be ok (Enterprise). I noticed that Avira doesn't like the sysprep process and I know other users have had similar issues with their anti virus products.

9. Lastly I don't think the product key will be your issue as it will install without one, Even if you are using a Dell OEM version. Anyway your installs seem to be fine it's the sysprep and capture process that is not completing.

Hopefully some of this information may be of use and might turn the lightbulb on to what may be causing the issue.

Cheers

JEWEN.

Comment

I agree, it's not the key causing the issue. Likely one of the apps. Are any of them AD aware/integrated? If they are that'll cause issues after sysprepping.

I'd build a new reference image with Windows and Office fully patched and then capture that to WDS. Then you can add apps one at a time and sysprep and re-capture till you find the one that causes the issue. I find it very useful to have a base Windows/Office build anyway for quickly deploying new machines for testing etc, so it's not wasted labour.
                          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                          sigpic
                          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Great idea guys, though I've moved to MDT as I like it tooons more, I'll still help with this issue if you wish.

A+ CE

Comment

SOLVED
                              SOLVED

By Installing Microsoft Update KB: 981542

SOLVED
                              SOLVED

Comment

Working...
                              X