Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hosting Optus internal DNS sites on our internal DNS server not working for Win7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosting Optus internal DNS sites on our internal DNS server not working for Win7

We have an internal link to the Optus intranet sites and we host the DNS entries on our DNS server as such:

My.Domain\au\com\optus

One particular entry is "dealers.optus.com.au" which has an IP of 10.154.224.1.

With our WinXP workstations on DHCP, when I ping this address, I get:

C:\Documents and Settings\myname>ping dealers.optus.com.au

Pinging dealers.optus.com.au.My.Domain [10.154.224.1] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.154.224.1: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=47
    Note that the DNS server adds "My.Domain" to the end of the domain name although it still recognises the domain name without the "My.Domain" suffix (as the PING test shows).

But on our new Win7 workstations, I cannot ping the dealers.optus.com.au domain name UNLESS I append the local domain suffix as shown here:

C:\Users\juliantestwin7>ping dealers.optus.com.au
    Ping request could not find host dealers.optus.com.au. Please check the name and try again.

C:\Users\juliantestwin7>ping dealers.optus.com.au.My.Domain

Pinging dealers.optus.com.au.My.Domain [10.154.224.1] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 10.154.224.1: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=49
    I understand that Win7 is resolving and recognising the domain correctly as per the DNS server setup, but this has stopped our Win7 users from accessing the Optus intranet sites. Although the name "dealers.optus.com.au.My.Domain" resolves to an IP and correctly navigates thru our internal connection to the Optus intranet network, the Optus web servers seem to be looking at the incoming name "dealers.optus.com.au.My.Domain" and not recognising it as their internal network and are dropping the data packets.

To get around this is we host the Optus intranet names in HOSTS files on each Win7 machine but we are not happy with this setup. But it works for now.

Is there a way in which we can setup the Win7 machines so that they do NOT append the "My.Domain" suffix only for the Optus sites? Thanks.
    Last edited by JDMils; 10th February 2011, 23:15.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |
Working...
X