Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Documents Redirection

Hi,

I want to redirect my My Documents to a network (NAS) folder and then set my files to offline ... how would I do this on Windows 7 64bit (both home and Pro)?

I used to be able to do this fairly easily on XP but it seems much more "flexible" (aka complicated) on Win 7 but several of my family now have both a desktop and a laptop or notebook so we want synchronised documents.

Any ideas?

Keke
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: My Documents Redirection

Hi Keke,

Right click on my documents folder and select properties. You will see a location tab, you can change the path here to point to your nas.

You can manage your offline folders/files by using Sync Centre from control panel.

Hope this helps
    Mark Couch
    A+, MCTS, MCITP(SA, EDA7)
    South Wales, UK.

Comment

Personally, I don't like the offline sync. I think they are slow and they won't sync database file, like pst etc..

Thanks,
      HN

Comment

Hi Couch,

Originally posted by Couch View Post
        Right click on my documents folder and select properties. You will see a location tab, you can change the path here to point to your nas.
        No, I see a "Library" tab (the only one there) with a pane called "Library locations" which has two items, "My Documents" & "Public Documents". If I click "Include a folder" and select my NAS folder (\\<nas-name>\documents\<my userid>") I get an error message from "Windows Libraries" saying, "This network location can't be included because it is not indexed" ... I gather I can index that location but I think I may have to index using Widows 7 which must mean it has to be linked elsewhere (a mapped drive maybe?) to my PC which is a bit of a pain.

You can manage your offline folders/files by using Sync Centre from control panel.
        Thx ... if I get that far

Keke

Comment

Originally posted by Humannetwork View Post
          Personally, I don't like the offline sync. I think they are slow and they won't sync database file, like pst etc..

Thanks,
          HN
          OT I know, but there is a very good reason why mdb, pst etc will not synch. These files are not supported for network access, and can very easily corrupt if they are accessed in that way. IME PSTs will corrupt over time anyway, it's a horrible file format.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi Keke,

I assume you are right clicking the documents folder on your start menu?

You will need to go into the users library, by clicking the users name on the start menu (just above the documents link ). In here you will see all the folders my documents, my pictures etc.

Right clcik the my documents folder and you will see the location tab, fill out your nas location and click move, now if you right click documents on the start menu you will see in the Library tab the nas location as default. I have attached some pics aswell

Hope this helps
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Couch; 9th February 2011, 22:35.
            Mark Couch
            A+, MCTS, MCITP(SA, EDA7)
            South Wales, UK.

Comment

I assume you are right clicking the documents folder on your start menu?

You will need to go into the users library, by clicking the users name on the start menu (just above the documents link ). In here you will see all the folders my documents, my pictures etc.

Right clcik the my documents folder and you will see the location tab, fill out your nas location and click move, now if you right click documents on the start menu you will see in the Library tab the nas location as default. I have attached some pics aswell

Hope this helps
              Hi Couch,

Yes it did (thanks) but not fully (and sorry about the delayed reply).

First of all there is no "Offline Files" tab but there is a "Previous Versions" tab.

When I redirect to the NAS share (\\NAS\documents\MyID) it renames "My Documents" to "MyID" (same as the folder on the share).

So basically yeah, it's gone swimmingly ... except for the Offline Files" bit on account of it not apparently being there

Keke

Comment

Working...
              X