Core system services won't start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core system services won't start

Since last Saturday, I've had a disastrous malfunction in Windows 7. The system is currently running, for the most part. I had to rebuild my RAID-5 array several times over the past couple months due to a drive failure followed by a couple bad refurbs. After a drive fell out of sync over the weekend, I'm having a number of problems which I believe may stem from corruption in RPC-related system files.

I can't open the Event Viewer snap-in because the service won't start. I was able to view it in safe mode, despite these other services not running, but even in a "clean boot environment" as prescribed by Microsoft, they won't run normally. Other services that won't start include IP Helper, Server, Task Scheduler, Windows Event Log, Windows Firewall, and Security Center. Most of these have the same error when I try to start them, which is:

Windows could not start the service on Local Computer. Error 1899: The endpoint mapper database entry could not be created.
    I've checked the volume for errors and found none. I've checked thoroughly for viruses and also came up clean, as expected. I tried two system restore points from before this started, but they had no effect on the problem. When running SFC, it reports that some system files are corrupt but could not be repaired. I haven't been through the whole log, but one entry of note:

2010-12-18 19:03:36, Info CSI 00000142 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32"\[l:30{15}]"RpcRtRemote.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted
    There are a few others like that, but I don't know if they're relevant to the problem or not. RPC and the RPC endpoint mapper are running and don't seem to be having any errors themselves. What else can I do to resolve this?

Also, a second question I have since it's a related subject... I do have a Windows backup system image from two weeks ago, and not a whole lot has changed since then. I was about to restore it to fix this, but something about the way it describes the process is making me too nervous to try it. I have a sizable data partition in the same array that isn't fully backed up. The vital items are backed up, but I'd rather just keep it intact if possible. If I boot into Windows setup and restore that system image, which only contains the OS partition, will it also wipe the data partition? I don't want to try it unless we're 100% sure on that. I want my second partition to remain intact.

Re: Core system services won't start

Have you booted off the Win7 DVD and tried the Repair option?
    RAID 5 for a Win7 install seems like a bt of overkill. Curiosity makes me ask why?
    What RAID controller are you using? Onboard or a real plugin card?
    Lastly, are you sure the RAID controller or a trojan/malware/virus infection isn't causing you these problems because from my experience Win7 is a fairly stable platform.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

That does sound distinctly like an infection of some sort. Try running http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html which is a COM file and doesn't need installation, so will usually run even if critical services aren't working.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

biggles77: Yes, I've done that. I'm about to boot the installer again and try running an offline scan with SFC, see what happens with that.

In my opinion, if you have RAID capability, there's no reason NOT to use it. You might think it's overkill to have RAID-5 in my home gaming rig, but at the same time, this array has already survived the loss of not one, but two defective hard drives (not simultaneously, of course). That's well worth it to me. Plus, while the write speed isn't very good, the read speed goes toe-to-toe with a solid state.

But to answer your question, my motherboard is a MS-7374, and I am using the onboard nVidia RAID controller.

cruachan: I agree, symptoms like these typically point to a virus, or at least lasting damage from one. But I run a tight ship. I had already done full scans with Avast and Spybot. But just the same, I ran the SuperAntiSpyware scan you suggested, and it agrees with Spybot -- nothing but a few tracking cookies.

At this point, I do think the RAID controller may have mishandled a few details during all the rebuilds, but like I said. It's already survived two failed drives, so it's worth it to me to continue using it. I'm going to try the offline SFC to ensure I have good source files, and I'll be back with results.

Comment

The offline SFC failed to replace the same files. They are:

• C:\Windows\System32\RpcRtRemote.dll
          • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\iassdo.dll
          • C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Multiplayer\Checkers\chkrzm.exe

The offline SFC did replace a few things that the normal SFC didn't, although the only thing I've noticed as a result is a particular sidebar gadget is no longer hanging during shutdown.

I extracted those three files from the WIM, verified they are in fact different, and replaced them, but this hasn't made any difference that I can see. I guess I may not be able to avoid reinstalling, unless someone has another suggestion.

Comment

In my opinion, if you have RAID capability, there's no reason NOT to use it.
            I have a dual flush toilet but that doesn't mean I have to use the full flush option when I only have a pee. (But I would NEVER build a Server without RAID )
            Personally I would have reduced the possibility of complications and selected the RAID 1 option if you wanted hardware fault tolerance but that is just me.

This board is now over 2 years old and a BIOS flash may help depending on the size of your HDDs. http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=do...1&prod_no=1443

Malwarebytes is another neat little app that can find nasties on your machine. I am not familiar with Avast and don't know if it comes with a Rootkit Revealer http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...ootkit&gs_rfai= . A Rootkit can play havoc with your system. AVG 2011 does have one but I do not know how effective it is. Adaware is another option you may wish to run on your machine looking for bad things.

When you are online, do you use your account with Administrative privileges or do you use a Standard account with restricted privileges? A Standard account gives limited access to the Program Flies and Windows folders that the nasty stuff likes to inhabit.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              I have a dual flush toilet but that doesn't mean I have to use the full flush option when I only have a pee. (But I would NEVER build a Server without RAID )
              Personally I would have reduced the possibility of complications and selected the RAID 1 option if you wanted hardware fault tolerance but that is just me.
              Perhaps, but I don't just have to pee. My home computer is both a gaming rig and a high-duty workstation that I use for virtualization and research. I considered RAID-1, but between the significantly reduced read performance and increased capacity overhead, I decided against it. I repair servers at work, among other things, so I'm well-versed in the characteristics of RAID.

This board is now over 2 years old and a BIOS flash may help depending on the size of your HDDs.
              There is an updated BIOS available, but the only changes from my current version add support for new CPUs and have no bugfixes. I'll update it after my system is back on its feet. I want to address the problem with my operating system first.

Malwarebytes is another neat little app that can find nasties on your machine. I am not familiar with Avast and don't know if it comes with a Rootkit Revealer. A Rootkit can play havoc with your system. AVG 2011 does have one but I do not know how effective it is. Adaware is another option you may wish to run on your machine looking for bad things.
              I apologize if I'm coming off as impatient, but a virus is not the cause of my problem. Removal of rootkits are another of my tasks at work. If I have to boot my custom-built PE and run RootkitRevealer and GMER so we can move on, I'm willing to do that. But I need to either figure out how to repair this problem, or go ahead and make preparations to reinstall my OS.

And yes, Avast does use a rootkit scanner.

When you are online, do you use your account with Administrative privileges or do you use a Standard account with restricted privileges? A Standard account gives limited access to the Program Flies and Windows folders that the nasty stuff likes to inhabit.
              I do everything with administrative priviledges. My computer doesn't need UAC to protect it from me.

Comment

I would have a look through this and see if it mught point you in the right direction

http://blogs.technet.com/b/justintur...-lockdown.aspx

To answer your second question i'd backup the data partition then try a restore of your OS partition. I never try to do system changing things without a backup of the entire thing.

If none of this work then i'd be looking at a rebuild of the system. I'd also be looking to see why i have drives failing in my RAID 5 array and why you're having to rebuild. Is it actually faulty drives or is it indicative of a failing RAID controller???

Comment

I've run across that article already. I already have the settings he says to change (they're basically the defaults). Unfortunately, the problem described in that article is due to user misconfiguration of the server. I still believe my problem most likely stems from corrupt system files, but all my attempts to correct the problem have failed to resolve it.

It may be worth noting that at one point I did try changing RpcSs and RpcEptMapper to start as system instead of network service, and that caused Windows to fail loading completely (black screen hang at login), and I had to perform an offline registry edit to set them back. The RPC services are actually running, but it seems they aren't working correctly under the hood.

Comment

I reckon your looking at a system rebuild, especially if SFC is reporting corrupt files but not repairing them.

I'm presuming you've tried a Windows repair from the CD???

You've probably already done it but I'd also try extracting the files from the Windows 7 DVD and seeing if that helps

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ation-dvd.html

Then replacing in use files

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-re...ndows-7-vista/

By the sounds of it though you've probably exhuausted these methods and ultimately you'll be restoring from your backup.

Comment

I know youve run avast and 2 other tools (if I recall) but try using these also:

HiJackThis
                      MalwareBytes

I've had both of them succesfully report and clean things that other tools would not find. With malware, it's not a case of "one tool fits all"
                      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

RAID 5 is recommended for gaming rigs that will also act as multiplayer servers. Coupled with a fast upload speed they provide reliable multiplayer action.

Regarding the RAID problems - one of my servers displayed the same problems during the last 6 months. After replacing a drive in the same slot twice I reckon the hardware was at fault. The server is old (5 years) and had little space left so rather than try and fix it I replaced the server.

Check your hardware.
                        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I would also suggest getting a real RAID controller and not using the toy ones that are built into a lot of motherboards. As someone who is more than familiar with Servers and their RAID controllers you will be aware that quality controllers are not used for the onboard RAID on motherboards.

Out of curiosity what is the motherboard in this machine?
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                          X