Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cannot ping domain joined Windows 7 64 bit

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone help me in diagnosing this problem please ?

when I tried to ping my newly setup host called host1 from local cmd prompt, it returns IPv6

when I ping from the DNS server, it returns public IP address of host1.com not the internal IP address ?

when I tried to ping the internal IP address from anywhere (host1 or other server) it replied fine.

this is DHCP assigned client, on the Windows Server 2003 DNS server console, ican see it is registering successfully but not in the DNS.

is there anything that I can or need to do to make it ping able using host.domain.com ?

Thanks.

Re: cannot ping domain joined Windows 7 64 bit

I've double checked that the Antivirus is running and not blocking ICMP packet and firewall is managed by Symantec End Point AV

Comment

Is the windows firewall running???

Can you ping the machine if you turn off your Symantec firewall???

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
        Is the windows firewall running???

Can you ping the machine if you turn off your Symantec firewall???
        yno it is not running since the windows firewall is managed by SEP (Symantec).

not it is still not replying

Comment

Hi long time reader first time answer

I get a similar problem here at work with some windows 7 systems during build the steps i usually take are as follows

i use linux to test all hardware first, we have 3 routers here all connected so i reroute using shell

if this works i change gateway to a different router usually solves all my pinging issues

if ive misunderstood your problem im sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Albertwt View Post
            yno it is not running since the windows firewall is managed by SEP (Symantec).

not it is still not replying
            I don't know the Windows Firewall is not running because i've never used SEP to manage it.

Can you disable the firewall or allow ping replies from the interface???

Cabn you ping frm the machine to another address???

Disable IPv6 unless you are using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Albertwt View Post
              Hi Everyone,

Can anyone help me in diagnosing this problem please ?

when I tried to ping my newly setup host called host1 from local cmd prompt, it returns IPv6

when I ping from the DNS server, it returns public IP address of host1.com not the internal IP address ?

when I tried to ping the internal IP address from anywhere (host1 or other server) it replied fine.

this is DHCP assigned client, on the Windows Server 2003 DNS server console, ican see it is registering successfully but not in the DNS.

is there anything that I can or need to do to make it ping able using host.domain.com ?

Thanks.
              1.) Look at the tcp/ip adapter to see if it has a check marked on "IEEE 802 1x authentication for this network" if it does un-check it and restart your computer.

2.) re-name your computer.

3.) Lastly create an A-record in your DNS manager for that computer.

Comment

go to control panel/networking and sharing center/change adapter settings link on top left.
                Right click your local area connection and left click on properties.
                Uncheck IPV6 if you don't want to use it then double click on IPV4.
                click the advanced button.

Click the DNS tab. If this pc is in a different subnet add the address of your DNS server. IF not skip down to the next but you can go ahead and add the dns address anyway if you want.

At the bottom you will find where it says "DNS suffix for this connection:"
                put in domain.local.

Click ok all the way out, you might want to ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew in command prompt.

I have some pc's in a remote office that are not on the domain but there is a vpn connection that is always on to the main office.

I used the above plus I installed the wins role on the server and on the pc where you clicked the advanced button above, you can click the wins tab and add the address for the wins.

Give this a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Bolivar View Post
                  go to control panel/networking and sharing center/change adapter settings link on top left.
                  Right click your local area connection and left click on properties.
                  Uncheck IPV6 if you don't want to use it then double click on IPV4.
                  click the advanced button.

Click the DNS tab. If this pc is in a different subnet add the address of your DNS server. IF not skip down to the next but you can go ahead and add the dns address anyway if you want.

At the bottom you will find where it says "DNS suffix for this connection:"
                  put in domain.local.

Click ok all the way out, you might want to ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew in command prompt.

I have some pc's in a remote office that are not on the domain but there is a vpn connection that is always on to the main office.

I used the above plus I installed the wins role on the server and on the pc where you clicked the advanced button above, you can click the wins tab and add the address for the wins.

Give this a try.
                  Ah yes, finally a working solution !!!

thanks man for your reply.

Comment

Thanks. on a side note you can put all this in your dhcp option settings so that when a client requests an ip address from the server, it will also receive the extra settings. ie. domain suffix, wins, time server, there are alot of options you can configure in dhcp. The only issue is that if the pc is on a different subnet and you dont have a secondary domain controller such as in my case, you will have to add it manually using the instructions above. lol sorry about the run on sentences.

Comment

Working...
                    X