Files not appearing in mapped drives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Files not appearing in mapped drives

I have mapped drives on a Windows 7 box. The server is running 2008 Standard.

We scan files into a mapped drive, but they don't immediately show up on other computers when opening the mapped drive. Is there a refresh rate?

If so, how can it be changed? It usually works if I have the user do a F5 or right click and click refresh.

Allen

Re: Files not appearing in mapped drives

Is the server on the same subnet as the clients?
    JM

Comment

This may be relevant:
      http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...3-925d397bfe10
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

They are on the same subnet. And actually I found out that an F5/Refresh DOES NOT Fix it.

Also, the hotfix is for vista, couldn't find one for Windows 7.

If I use the UNC and navigate to the path, it shows all the files, or rebooting and opening the mapped drive works as well.

Still not sure what's going on.

Allen

Comment

This issue persists, any suggestions please?

Comment

I would check the premissons on the files, make sure there is nothing strange going on there.

If there is, there is the... setting that limits what users can see to what they can access, I know that this sometimes takes a few seconds to kick in, as it has to check the folder premissions on the AD server to make sure the users can access it before it generates the folder list.

Other then that,
            If I use the UNC and navigate to the path, it shows all the files, or rebooting and opening the mapped drive works as well.
            If there is ANY security on the folders on that mapped drive, you will need to open the mapped drive in explorer to force it to get apporval from AD, otherwise it will sit there and keep trying to get premissions (somethign strange happens with it thinking that the application is attempting to open the file if no connection has been made).

If this is the case, a quick and dirty fix is to make a logon script that opens that drive, and then shuts it.

Also, one more question, if the above has not helped, is this effecting ALL mapped drives, or just one on a set server. If this is the case, can you please mapped a local drive (ignore the errors in the event log), and see if the same thing is happening. If it does not, map a drive from a PC (NOT server) on the LAN. Let us know how this behaves.

Hope this helps,
            Wofen
            Good to be back....

Comment

Sadly it looks like I found out this is a known issue with no fix.

(I had googled it prior but missed these)

http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/3103

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...f-3c2394417b6e

Hopefully Microsoft will fix this. Looks like many are having issues... not sure how I missed these articles before.

Comment

I've seen this too. There are also issues with Win7 mapping 2008 DFS shares and the shares not being accessible on an intermittent basis. Hopefully, as you say, these things will be fixed in the next service pack.
                A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
                X