Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 and office 2003

Hi

I have a user and he is on windows7 and has office 2007 installed.

He has a mapped drive to a a file path on the server. When he updates files it is not updating on the server. But after some testing I have found out that it is only on files that are office 2003. Office 2007 and other file types like text pad or notepad update fine, but if the file is 2003 then it will not update on the server. This applies only to this user an this user is the only one on windows 7 so Im assuming its windows 7 related.
    The other users are on Windows XP Pro and office 2007.

The server is SBS 2003 and has office 2003 installed on it.

Does anyone thing upgrading to office 07 on the server would make a difference??

Please advise?
    Thanks
    R

Re: Windows 7 and office 2003

I know at the moment they are still trying to work out some kinks with Windows 7 syncing, you could try upgrading it to 07(what could it hurt, right?)

Do you have any error codes that might have been shown?
    "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

Originally posted by Managor View Post
      I know at the moment they are still trying to work out some kinks with Windows 7 syncing, you could try upgrading it to 07(what could it hurt, right?)

Do you have any error codes that might have been shown?
      Im hoping it workings cos its the MD that has the problem

I've installed it and restarting the server tonight so see how it goes.

No error messages or anything, the user just workings as normal and saves his work. It just doesnt update on the server. but only for office 2003 apps!!!

Just need a plan B if installing office 07 doesnt work.

Comment

Is the user syncing the files to the server or just saving them to it?
        "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

Originally posted by Managor View Post
          Is the user syncing the files to the server or just saving them to it?

Just saving them to it. He has a mapped drive that goes to a folder called accounts. there are files in there already but when he modifies they not getting updated on the server's version!! unless its an office 07 app. its really bizzare.

Thanks
          R

Comment

Do I understand this correctly. There are others in the office using Office 2007 but the MD is using Office 2003? Is he creating files and saving them or is he MODIFYING Office 2007 files and trying to save them?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              Do I understand this correctly. There are others in the office using Office 2007 but the MD is using Office 2003? Is he creating files and saving them or is he MODIFYING Office 2007 files and trying to save them?
              Hi

No basically, the files that are on the server all save in office 2003 as we have just rolled out 2007. All the users and the MD have 2007 on the PC's.

The MD has a mapped drive to the accounts folder as do others. When he modifies one of the files taht were orginally saved in 2003 it doesnt update on the server. how ever if the document in the accounts folder is in 2007 then it updates on the server

hope this makes sense

Comment

What happens if he opens a 2003 document and then saves it in 2007 format? Can he then modify the newly saved as 2007 docx?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

So if I understand this correctly, you guys have a file server that holds office documents that are currently saved in the old 2003 format. Whenever this guy edits one of them in Office 2007 and then saves them, the changes to not appear in the actual document.

Look and see where he is actually saving the files to. My guess, and its just that, is that he is saving the files to his local machine somewhere instead of the mapped network drive.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    What happens if he opens a 2003 document and then saves it in 2007 format? Can he then modify the newly saved as 2007 docx?

Hi sorry for the alte reply. yes he can

Comment

Working...
                    X