Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skype desktop using massive bandwidth when idle

Hey everyone

I have skype installed on a Windows 7 PC. It uses roughly 64GB/day in downloads when idle. Logs show it downloading from edge.skype.com and a.config.skype.com.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, same result

Any ideas? thanks

Yeah, one idea. Stop using it. You do know that Skype is now just a spy for Microsoft and not only send copious amounts of "telemetry" back to the Mothership but also channels the tailored adverts that result from said "telemetry" from the Mothership's advertising department back to you. Click image for larger version

Name:	worry.gif
Views:	2
Size:	351 Bytes
ID:	515406

Have you considered you may have been hacked and are now just a working bot for a nefarious Russia crime syndicate or a 10 year old script kiddie? While I was serious with the idea one, I am even more serious with this. My daughter, who has an IT Degree and is a whole lot more clevererer than me (road kill is actually more clever than me and tasty too if slow cooked) and her friends use Google Hangouts for voice calls.

Now I have become more of a cynical bastard in my declining years and 64GB a day is a Click image for larger version

Name:	censored.gif
Views:	4
Size:	216 Bytes
ID:	515404of a lot of data. Please don't reinforce my growing cynicism by being the first post of an advert campaign for an alternate software app to replace Skype. It would be much appreciated and if this is not the case then please remember what I said above about me and road kill but also;

Click image for larger version

Name:	adminwatch.gif
Views:	5
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	515405
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I never allow Skype to be activated until I need it. You can stop it always starting when you start Windows under tools.

I once tried to find a useful alternative to Skype with no success and would never abandon it in case someone manages to snoop on it as it is a godsend such us for our old codgers on the club committee. The special version MS prefer you to use for Windows 10 can cause trouble so use the old version. I get more trouble with BT land lines. If you do get hacked use malwarbytes and perhaps open another copy with a different email address.

Comment

Working...
      X