Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Network speeds differ greatly between similar machines....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network speeds differ greatly between similar machines....

Evening all,

I noticed an interesting one this evening and for the life of me I cant work out whats going on....

I have 2 Workstations & 2 laptops, if I do a ookla speed test on either of the laptop or 1 of the workstations i'm getting the same speed, 361Mbps down and 20Mbps up give or take a few Mbps, which is about right. However on the other work station its alot slower, 120 Mbps down & 20 up. All machines are Windows 7 pro x64 all with the same AV all hard wired to the same switch and all about the same spec annoyingly the work station with the issue is the highest spec.

I gone through checking everything I can think of, checked its connecting at 1 Gbps, checked for nasties, updated the drivers, traffic management, firewall probs, disabled services, safe mode, even installed a new cat6 patch cable but the speed just doesn't change...

Short of a reinstall or a new network card i don't know what to look at next.... any ideas?

Thanks

Dave
    Last edited by QuattroDave; 17th November 2017, 23:14. Reason: typo

Have you also tried moving the cable to a different port on the switch?
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks for the reply, a good thought, swapped cat6 cables on the switch this morning, no difference....

Comment

Device Manager
        Network Adapters
        Select the NIC and double left click
        Select the Advanced tab.
        Compare the settings in here on the affected machines and see if those settings match.

What is/are the make of the NICs? Are they on-board or plug-ins? If on-board, are there any settings in the BIOS that are different?

Do you have a Cable Tester to check the cable run from the wall socket to the Patch Panel? It only takes a single faulty wire of 4, 5, 7 or 8 or a badly punched down one to drop the speed back to 100. If you don't have a cable tester, bet the company to buy one but in the meantime, try the slower machine on a different point. Better still, take it an plug it directly into the bloody switch.

If the NIC is on-board, get a gigabit NIC and plug that in and use it. Even a shitty Realtek one will give you the higher speed. No idea what country you are in but in Oz I can get an RTL81xx for AUD$11. What are you paid per hour and how many hours have been spent on this? I don't want an answer to that question, rather I want you to consider the economics of the situation. While you are dicking around with this issue I am sure you must have other things that you could be doing. After all, the device still has network connectivity.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Already compared advanced settings & BIOS settings they were slightly different so changed them to matchbut no change. I quite agree about a patch panel and/or structured cabeling being faulty but they are all in the same room and use a single cat 6 patch cable directly to the switch. The PC in question is an HP XW6600 with onboard Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, I've just purchased an Intel Pro1000 PCIE card try out, it should arrive in a few days. I understand what you mean by is it 'worth my time' and if it was for a client then i'd agree but these are personal PC's at home and I know it doesn't really matter but its kinda bugging me and I'd like to get to the bottom of it....

Thanks Dave

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	censored.gif
Views:	4
Size:	216 Bytes
ID:	515077Broadcom. Only ones worse IMO are NVidia NICs. Click image for larger version

Name:	bang_head_wall.gif
Views:	7
Size:	890 Bytes
ID:	515079

Quite right, home network it is worth dicking around to find the reason. Click image for larger version

Name:	agree.gif
Views:	4
Size:	656 Bytes
ID:	515080 Do you have the latest Broadcom driver? If so, roll it back to the previous version. If not, get it and install it. Do you recall if an update driver came in with a Windows Update Click image for larger version

Name:	vomit.gif
Views:	1
Size:	373 Bytes
ID:	515078? If one did, remove it and try the latest one downloaded from Broadcom and see how that works.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Ok, so after alot of messing around tryng to get the onboard broadcom LAN to work properly, out of interest I set the LAN port to 100 Mb half duplex and transfer speeds dropped to 2 mbps, changed to 100 Mb full dupex and transfer speeds went up a little to 2.5 mbps... I can only guess there was something catastrophically wrong with the onboard LAN circuitry... After disabling the broadcom in the BIOS I installed a PCIe Intel NIC, immediately got gigabit speeds...

Thanks for your help & advice guys...

Comment

Glad you finally have closure.

I had a similar issue in 1999 but it was with a 3Com NIC. After weeks of complaints, the company who supplied the Server (HP LC3 ) sent a Cisco engineer out to diagnose the issue. I told him it was the 3Com NIC but he went and plugged his laptop into the 3Com switch, a SuperStack II piece of shit, and spent the next 4 hours testing and then left saying all was good. The client got an $800 bill for his "services". I went and swapped the 3Com with a crappy old RTL 8029 (yes, not a typo) and had full network speeds back. I also wrote a 2 page report complete with transfer data times and advised the client to not pay the bill. They didn't. I do remember I tested it with SP6a for NT4.0 Server and the 35MB file was taking 15 to 18 minutes to copy. With a good NIC it was 12 seconds.

The POS SuperStack II switch, I had 4 of those "things" at that location and I had FIVE replacements. EVERY switch failed with one obviously dying twice. A load of crap. Several at other locations were DOA and even then they took SIX WEEKS to do a warranty repair. Never had problems with other 3Com switches though.

Sorry, the meds are working well tonight.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X