Windows 7 SP1 RC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 SP1 RC

Just started a downoad of the RC version of SP1 for Windows 7 x64 and stopped the d/l after 15 seconds due to the 2.91GB size.Click image for larger version

Name:	faint.gif
Views:	10
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	468731 Yes, 2.91GB for a Service Pack!! I expect it will shrink a little as per Microsoft's usual form but really, a 2+GB Service Pack. That makes it just a little larger than the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 original release.

This is going to be a fun SP to rollout to installed systems. Better make sure your WDS skills are up to date. Click image for larger version

Name:	headbutt.gif
Views:	7
Size:	890 Bytes
ID:	468730
    Last edited by biggles77; 2nd November 2010, 23:08.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: Windows 7 SP1 RC

I think it's the same SP for 2008 R2 as well. I've downloaded and installed it, and when you start the installer the first thing it does and goes and downloads more updates.

Wanted to try out some of the dynamic memory features for Hyper-V, probably wait until it's RTM for Windows 7.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Getting typical Microsoft behaviour
      SP1 is shared between Win7 and Server 08R2, so will wait for RTM also
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

SP1 for R2 is actually a couple hundred MB smaller than the Win7 version. Go figure.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

That's a massive SP O_O, is this for all Win7 versions?

Some of us have to brave it so I'm putting in on my R2 machine as I type.
          Last edited by Managor; 8th November 2010, 14:38.
          "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

Hello, I first installed the beta on a few servers and desktops, then came rc, so uninstalled the beta, and installed the rc. All just for testing HyperV. Now i'm just waiting for the new graphics card for my server to try out remoteFX. Hopefully later all will install through wsus just fine.

gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

I really don't see much a difference with this SP tbh. Maybe I just aint using it enough.

A+ CE

Comment

I just got round to checking my TechNet Windows 7 Ultimate x64 ISO and it is only 3.0GB. Guess this SP1 is really and Upgrade install; a bit like SP3 on XP SP3.

Will throw it on a VM in the next few days and see what the hoopla is all about; or maybe not.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  I just got round to checking my TechNet Windows 7 Ultimate x64 ISO and it is only 3.0GB. Guess this SP1 is really and Upgrade install; a bit like SP3 on XP SP3.

Will throw it on a VM in the next few days and see what the hoopla is all about; or maybe not.

I'm not seeing anything different.

A+ CE

Comment

Originally posted by Managor View Post
                    I'm not seeing anything different.
                    But are you still seeing anything the same?

This might make things a bit more, how shall I say it, effing obvious!! Click image for larger version

Name:	Aaaaaa.gif
Views:	11
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	464640 http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...en/us/sp1.aspx

As you have said, you can't see anything different. Quite right as it seems to be some "hidden features" that have been tweaked. The Hyper-V Dynamic Memory bit looks pretty cool if you are heavily into VMs. The other thing you can't see is the added "features" when in a Remote Session.

Apart from the tricked up stuff and the usual Security Rollup you seem to be spot on when saying you don't seem to be seeing anything different. Well spotted Managor or should that be well not spotted.

Let's see how well it works when it is RTMed and is dropped into the real world. Click image for larger version

Name:	afraid.gif
Views:	6
Size:	1.3 KB
ID:	464641
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Went and installed RC SP1 on Windows 7 and discovered why the file is so bloody big. MS in its limited wisdom decided to put the x64, x86 and amd64 Service Packs all in ONE file. Really not happy having to download and extra Gig when it wasn't necessary. I feel for those who are not able to have the download speed that I have from MS.

Let's hope MS see some light and do NOT do this when it is RTM and they manage to speed the install process somewhat. My 2GHz Core Duo laptop with 4GB RAM and 7,200rpm HDD took about 1.5 hours to install. I have read where it has taken 2.5 hours to uninstall the damn thing.

While I was at it, I installed IE9 because IE8 was giving me a 2 to 5 second delay opening and closing tabs. Was giving me excretia big time and since Windows 7 was a clean install didn't know why. When you install IE9 it asks you if you want to disable plugins or addons (can't remember which one it was called now) and it lists the plugins. Bloody AVG 2011 was the culprit causing the tab delay issue along with Adobe and several other apps. My custom install of AVG didn't alert me to these options being added to IE and slowing the damn thing down. Why are they putting all this extra shit in their apps that slows down my machine. It is bloody annoying and if I purchase the Full version it has a crap load of extra items that are not available to the skin flints like me that only want the Free version.

I half know what I am doing and I still have trouble finding where all the settings are hidden. How do the poor old standard user who has little if any IT knowledge.

[rant] Several years ago we had a Japanese exchange student stay with us and she brought her laptop. It would take 7 minutes and 20 seconds to boot. Uninstalled the bundled McAfee package and I had it booting in just over 2 minutes. Why the need for the extra 5 minutes to boot. What crap did they feel they needed to install. Laptop = portable. If this person did a full boot 3 times a day (they didn't know about Hibernation) time 56 days per week times 50 weeks per year equals 4,500 minutes unecessary waiting time. In a work environment that is a lot os wasted production time. multiply that by several thousand laptop owners who would unknowingly leave the rubbish running and a company is having a lot of their money stolen from them by moron programmers and the companies that they work for. Not only that but these programs that teal your productive time also cost a not insubstantial amount of money. It is immoral IMO. [/end rant]

On a lighter side, you know how well you know an operating system when you can find your way round it without knowing the language. Setup my nephew's Outlook in Hebrew when he visited several years ago. That was harder than the Japanese one because the screen was back to front (right to left); kind of like looking at a mirrored version. Click image for larger version

Name:	Aaaaaa.gif
Views:	11
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	464718
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                      X