X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot join WIN 7 in WIN 2K8 Domain

Hello Tech Experts,

I am a beginer in WINDOWS Networking.
    I recently formated our server which was configured as DOMAIN, domain name was XXX. and all my workstation with XP Professional SP3 and Windows 7 Enterprise Edition were joined in the domain.

I installed fresh Windows 2008 and created a domain. I kept the domain name same XXX, so that I dont need to join all the workstation again.

Some workstation with Windows 7 enterprise edition is not getting joined in the domain and show this exception..

Computer Name/Domain Changes
    ---------------------------
    The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "XXXX":
    An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a domain controller in the domain being joined has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.

Thanks in advance

Re: Help ! Cannot join WIN 7 in WIN 2K8 Domain

you need to have a look at the DNS configuration on the wiundows 7 computer

make sure that you have the DNS Server installed and running on the Windows 2008 Domain Controller.
    Then, make sure the windows 7 computer has the IP address of the windwos 2008 domain controller configured as it's DNS Server.

Then, from the windows 7 computer, try "ping domain.com"
    let me know how that goes
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by anwar0206 View Post
      I installed fresh Windows 2008 and created a domain. I kept the domain name same XXX, so that I dont need to join all the workstation again.
      Sadly it doesn't work like that. The domain name is just a "front end" name, the underlying domain infrastructure is all about Security IDs (SIDs), which are long strings like "S-1-5-21-3623811015-3361044348-30300820-1013". By formatting your server, you now have no choice but to rejoin them all to the new domain - and you'll actually find it more confusing to have the same name as the old one, as any windows user-account folders like Joe.Bloggs.Domainname will then be invalid.

Before formatting, you should have replicated the domain to a separate server, formatted, then replicated back.

If I were you I'd wipe the server again, reinstall Windows with a new domain name, then join all the accounts again.

Jim

Comment

Because you deleted the original domain means that you will need to re-add all the clients to the new domain.

Even though it has everything the same it has different SID, security identifiers, and it will not know who the client is and can't authenticate.

An we also need more info regarding your setup.

Comment

Errm....did your post actually add anything to my own post three days earlier?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jimwillsher View Post
            Errm....did your post actually add anything to my own post three days earlier?

Jim
            No it didn't but i never read your post properly.

But ultimately the OP doesn't need to go and reformat the server and create a different domain name to achieve the same result which is remove the workstaion and join it to the proper domain.

Comment

Yep, agreed. Keeping the domain name the same doesn't achieve anything, other than to increase the level of confusion. Rejoining the new domain is the only way to establish the OP's required environment.

Cheers,

Jim

Comment

Working...
              X