No announcement yet.

Giving users administrative permissions to a single programs and all it's files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving users administrative permissions to a single programs and all it's files

So I'm trying to give our regular users, permissions to update our RC software "logmein", without admin rights you can't update the files, I want to give them rights to only what logmein would need to update.

How would I go about doing this, if it's possible, I called LMI already and they said they haven't a clue.

I need to figure out what it uses, and give them access to it.

Not on a domain so the GPO is out sadly.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Managor; 28th October 2010, 14:04.
    "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Re: Giving users administrative permissions to a single programs and all it's files

If this is a domain, can you not use a GPO to set the "Run as Admin" in win 7?

I believe you can, I do not have a Win 7 machine on any domain I can play with to test this, but this link does have some things about setting UAC via GPO.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...).aspx#BKMK_S2

If this is not a Domain machine, just right click on the exe file, and set Run as Admin.

That will make that application run as a admin, and "Should" be enough to let it update.

You might need to check to see if there is a 2nd updater exe file, as might have to apply the same to that file.

Hoped I helped, sorry I could not actuly test something.

Wofen
    Good to be back....

Comment

Re: Giving users administrative permissions to a single programs and all it's files

That was the idea I first had, we are still looking at alternatives we can do from the back end of the systems.

And as for UAC, most of them are XP so I guess I should have put it there instead.

But if we were to do UAC turned off on our 7 machines, that would give them access to EVERYTHING and we don't want that happening, as quite a few of our users like to mess around with things they aren't supposed to.

Because of the amount of PC's(200-300+) we're trying to think of the easiest way possible.
      Last edited by Managor; 28th October 2010, 14:21.

A+ CE

Comment

Originally posted by Managor View Post
        That was the idea I first had, we are still looking at alternatives we can do from the back end of the systems.

And as for UAC, most of them are XP so I guess I should have put it there instead.

But if we were to do UAC turned off on our 7 machines, that would give them access to EVERYTHING and we don't want that happening, as quite a few of our users like to mess around with things they aren't supposed to.

Because of the amount of PC's(200-300+) we're trying to think of the easiest way possible.

You could just remove UAC, then use GPO restrictive groups like a win XP machine.
        Then you just treat it like the rest of the computers.

Wofen
        Good to be back....

Comment

It's not on a domain though, which is what is why it's so hard to do, if I could just make a policy and bam be done.

I'm still trying different things.
          Last edited by Managor; 29th October 2010, 12:02.

A+ CE

Comment

With 200+ PC's i'd be trying to get them to move to a domain lol.

Have you tried to use any of the sysinternals tools to find out what files logmein uses when it updates then you could take all the relevant files and move them to a specific folder and give the user FC on that.

Just an idea because i have no idea how the installer works for updates.

Comment

Working...
            X