Win7 system.exe 100% cpu.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win7 system.exe 100% cpu.

I have a customer experiencing this issue. Its intermittent. I tried seeing what the process was with procexplore and it didnt show me any additional info, also performed a malware scan with malware bytes and set power options to next sleep, any other help would be welcomed.
    Thanks.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Re: Win7 system.exe 100% cpu.

The hardware specs would be useful. This is expected on a Pentium2

However there are suggestions online that this may be virus related, so I would scan with your AV as well as with Malwarebytes
    Last edited by Ossian; 21st October 2010, 12:41.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

HP Compaq 8000 elite, 3gb ram, core 2 duo. 160gb sata drive, its a nice machine.
      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Did a full scan (with sophos) found nothing.
        Changed power options /edit plan setings/ turn off hard disk after: setting 360 minutes.
        at first i thought it was happening because the computer was trying to go to sleep.
        is there a way i can find out what triggers system.exe to take up all the cpu.

Im hoping this will help but any additional input would be welcomed.
        Last edited by uk_network; 21st October 2010, 14:59.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Does it use 100% in Safe mode?
          Is it just the CPU thats high, or is it using more then normal Ram as well?

If you create a Dump file (using Sysinternals) for the system.exe, does that give you anymore info?

Have you ran the Windows proformance test (that thing that gives a score, I have actuly seen this resovle some hardware issues).

If you do a diagnostic boot, do you still have the same problem? (MSconfig --> diagnostic boot mode).

If none of these work, stress the hell out of it and it might crash, giving you a nice error code/BSOD that might tell you a file name.

Other then that, a hammer and a call to hp :P

Wofen
          Good to be back....

Comment

use task manager, add the CPU% column,sort, find out which process is thrashing the cpu.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

try combofix

Comment

i'm going to lay odds on it being SearchIndexer actually.
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for the replys so far all
                  its not done it since i did my last change or setting screen to never turn off.

its intermittent tho happens every 3/4 days on average (randomly), it seems to happen when the computer goes to an idle state.

-my next angle is possible it has something to do with some services that run
                  when computer is idle, was going to go through them and disable anything that looked suspicious.
                  -stopping windows update and change startup type to manual
                  -other things i was going to try, was disconnecting the network cable when it next does it.
                  -also do a malware bytes scan again to see if its become infected(maybe some one keeps putting usb flash drive in that has a virus..

thanks for the indexing pointer, its another angle also.
                  Ill keep y'all updated on the resolution.

p.s. combo fix, never heard of, for malware detection/removal malware bytes wins it for me, ill read the site for combofix.
                  wolfen, ty for ur input, also this is very random, and a reboot or even logoff, stops it happening.
                  Last edited by uk_network; 25th October 2010, 23:03.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

ive tried all of the above + scanning for root kits, also did the registry change to disable task scheduler in win 7,
                    system.exe still takes all available cpu and brings the system to its knees.
                    Also this software is installed.
                    Microsoft sql server
                    Microsoft slq server compact edition.
                    Microsoft sync framework
                    Microsoft synchronization services.
                    Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0
                    could any of the above cause these symtoms.

Im at a total loss and about to admit defeat and go down the path of a rebuild.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Have you disabled indexing?
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

hi, ossian, on the windows 7 machine i disabled the windows search service that disables indexing.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

can you definitely see it's 100% cpu utilisation, or is the machine just going balls up?

i hve a laptop on my desk at the moment that just freezes up - i ran dell diags on it, turns out it has a faulty drive.

Comment

Hi, im starting to think that it could be hardware and had the idea of swapping the drive to an identical machine and seeing if it made a difference.

what happens is randomly at logon or when the user is working, out of the blue system.exe gets greedy and takes all available cpu cycles and doesnt give them up unless restarted or user logs off.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Have you tried running Sysinternals Process Monitor and see what is using the cycles?
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X