Heat wave

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat wave

What is the hottest you suggest allowing any Laptop or PC is safe to use with any version of Windows?. A few years the PSU crashed on this Windows 7 after using the Sleep option when trying to restart this tower PC.

Are you talking about the processor temperature (depends on manufacturer) or the external temperature?

Given the same laptops we are using in 30 degree UK are used in 40+ degree middle east (or Arizona) there seems not to be an issue
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The key is good maintenance of the case. Make sure dust etc., is removed using a spray duster, make sure empty PCI or other expansion slots in the case (not the motherboard), have their covers in place. Good case ventilation depends on the air being able to move as the designers intended. 'Holes' in the case affect ventilation. You may also be able to configure fan settings via the BIOS to a more aggressive profile.

So long as these basic things are observed, as Ossian says, high external temps can be handled quite well.

If you are concerned about performance during the heat use CPUID HWMonitor (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html) to view the temps. Post them here if you are unsure of what is safe.
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks I have decided not to use any PC or laptop if the room temperature exceeds 80 degrees

On another subject many know what chaos MS go themselves in with mail on their Hotmail site. At last I can now use their Hotmail site direct or using Thunderbird.

Comment

80C is a bit extreme Gordon, even for here in Australia.

Might I suggest some fans for your laptop to sit on. Laptop Cooling Pads something like this but there are many, many different designs. If you need help refining your search then I can search eBay UK and drop some links in here for you.

You can also put an extra fan(s) in the desktop case. I always added and extra case fan or two that assisted in airflow. Some cases allow room for a fan at the front and another at the back. You just need to make sure the fans are blowing in the correct direction. The fans have an arrow showing this. It doesn't lower the ambient air temperature but it does keep it flowing.

In addition I would slap a HDD fan onto each drive. I used to purchase these from a local supplier for AUD$5 each because they had a lifetime warranty. The bearings used to fill with dust after 18 months of 24/7 running but the ones on my daughter's desktop lasted over 4 years and when I did pull her desktop apart there was only 1 of the 2 fans that had clogged up.

The only thing I can suggest for your CPU that doesn't involve silly amounts for a water cooling system is to clean the top of the heat sink. I am sure you are aware of the amount of lint the can cover the heat sink vanes which reduces or stop airflow over them and hence slows down the heat draw from the processor. A small 1" paint brush will do the trick but a thick art brush is also very good. Failing that, a good blast with some compressed air. If using an air compressor do NOT do it on a high humidity day because you can get a lot of water vapour being sprayed into the case. Also put a pencil into the fan to stop it spinning up the jet turbine speeds. If you do have a compressor then the power supply could be give a blast or 4 as well. Again insert a pencil (with the power off) to stop the fans hitting warp speed. Do the blowing outside or in your garage otherwise the dust goes everywhere.

I feel as though I have missed something out. Anyone?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry I have not replied to your kind advice before. I miss being notified by Email.

When it is very hot I now watch a tiny thermometer in this room, and refuse to turn on any PCs if the temperature is over 80F. So I update my site ready for the next day when it is cooler in the morning.

Comment

Working...
            X