Slow PC startup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow PC startup

Please why does the red LED show Hard Drive activity with this Desktop using Windows 7 glow for up to around 10 minutes when I first switch on in the mornings? Yet the Task Manager often fails to show any activity among programs. Could it be the hard drive is rather old and it is trying to undertake some repairs?

Who knows....
    If you tell us about the PC (hardware specs etc), maybe that would help, but even an old Win7 box should not take 10 minutes to start up.

Run a CHKDSK and a DEFRAG on the drive as a starting point

[EDIT] Also run MSCONFIG and see what startup programs there are - disable any you don't want to run
    Last edited by Ossian; 14th March 2017, 13:40.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Virus scan or similar may be running when you first boot. What utilities/tools do you have installed? Crap Cleaner? Adware? Malwarebytes, Spybot?

A friend was staying with us and her laptop was taking about 7 minutes to boot. I uninstalled the anti virus (either McAfee or another popular one that was around 13 years ago) and it was booting in 2 minutes. It was the startup virus scan that was eating up the boot time. Microsoft Security Essential works pretty good and combined with Malwarebytes keeps even my wife's laptop (she clicks on everything in bloody Farcebork) virus and malware free.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

++ for your AV recommendations - and clearly she is related to my MiL who does the same
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks I only use AVG but it not always showing any activity while the red LED is glowing. I use the defrag often especially after MS updates, and I will use CHKDK agin to see if that makes any difference/

Comment

Working...
          X