Updating drivers on a Windows 7 system with new hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating drivers on a Windows 7 system with new hardware

The topic title is a bit deceiving... I had a home work computer with Windows 7 and the motherboard died, so I replaced the motherboard, memory, CPU and power supply and reused my priceless old hard drive knowing pretty well that I will have to update all the new drivers. I was certain that I was going to have the chance to boot up the system in safe mode and take care of things, but as soon after the windows logo shows I get a fast blue screen of death and the system reboots... I then tried to repair the system, but system repair is only automatically and of course it is overwhelmed with all those wrong drivers, so no good there either. I then tried the repair by booting the PC with a USB with the Windows 7 installation in it... it failed as well, then I tried to do an "upgrade" but windows will not even consider an update when the PC is been boot up from an USB. Lastly, as you boot from the USB there is an option to load drivers, but it is design to get drivers from the system32 directory... it does not recognize exe files which is what I have from the motherboard manufacture, and the dos command will not play the exe either...

So something I thought it would take me a couple of hours max, has become a huge enterprise! .. Does anyone has any good advice for me to load those needed drivers into my system??? I am about to bang my head against the keyboard!!! HELP!

For a few extra Dollars, Pesos, Euro, Rubles, Rupiah etc etc, you could buy a new faster more up to date HDD, install Windows 7 on it and add old faithful as a secondary data drive. Hell, a 120GB SSD is very cheap now and Win7 booting off that will clean out the dust between it's ears. You have replaced everything on the machine except the HDD so do your system a favour and replace the HDD as well.

If you couldn't get it working by booting from the installation USB and running the Repair option then if it were me, I would give it away and install onto a new HDD. The option to "Load Drivers", often associated with the F6 key press, is more for RAID drivers or if your motherboard has specific drivers that need to be installed to make it see the HDD. It will NOT work if you have an EXE file extension.

In case you wish to persist:
    What is the motherboard make and model?
    How was your "priceless old hard drive" partitioned?
    What size if your priceless old hard drive?
    Have you backed up all the data, web browser bookmarks/favorites/links, emails etc from your priceless old hard drive?

Damn, I am getting older and more stupid every day. You replaced the power supply (along with everything else) but not the HDD? Why? Why are you keeping the HDD? It is a WD Raptor or something else that has/had high performance? It's not a SCSI is it?

Comment

Wipe and reinstall?
      Agree, get an SSD for the OS
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm willing to bet the system produces a STOP/blue screen because you don't have the correct drivers for your new motherboard, and as a result, Windows can't access the disk.

If you really want to fix the old Windows installation, you'll need to figure out which drivers you need for the storage (SATA) controller on the new motherboard. If the board came with a driver CD, you should copy the relevant drivers onto a USB stick. Alternatively, download the drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Then do the following:
        1. Boot from a Windows 7 DVD.
        2. After selecting/confirming your language and keyboard settings, choose "repair".
        3. The Setup program won't be able to find your existing Windows installation, so click the button that lets you load a third-party driver.
        4. Plug the USB stick into a USB2 port if you have one (USB3 ports may not work yet due to missing drivers), and browse to the driver directory
        5. After a few seconds, rhe Setup program should display the name of your storage controller. If it doesn't, you have the wrong drivers. If it does, click the relevant button to load the drivers.
        6. Wait for a few minutes while the Setup program tries in vain to fix the boot problem.
        7. Once the Setup program gives you the bad news that it can't fix the issue, click the "Advanced" button and then open a command prompt.
        8. Find the current drive letter of your Windows installation (it probably isn't C). Try "dir e:", "dir f:" and so on until you see a file system with the subdirectories "Program Files", "Users", "Windows" etc.
        9. Add the storage driver to the Windows installation with the dism command:

dism /image:<drive letter> /Add-driver /driver:<path to inf>

<drive letter>should be the current drive letter of your Windows drive, while <path to inf> should be the complete path to the .inf file for the driver on the USB stick (for instance "E:\driver\somefile.inf" if you saved the driver files to a directory called "driver" on the USB drive)
        10. Assuming the dism command completes successfully, you should now be able to reboot into Windows and add any other driver that might be missing.

Comment

Working...
        X