No announcement yet.

How to find out who is killing idle sockets

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find out who is killing idle sockets

Hello. I have a windows 7 computer that I backup. The backup is always failing exactly within 2 hours. I put the windows registry keepAliveTime value to 18000 so that it checks every 3 minutes to continue without being killed in 2 hours. I have rebooted the computer and the backup still fails in 2 hours. I'm suspecting that maybe a firewall is dropping the connection. Is there any windows command lines that I can run on the computer that can tell me who is dropping this connection or any other 3rd party tools? Any type of steps will be helpful. Thank you

Please STOP double posting - I have now deleted two identical threads in other forums. Next time will be a ban.

Can you tell us:
    a) what backup software you are using
    b) Where you are backing up to (Local or network)
    c) How you know the backup is failing at exactly two hours?
    d) What else have you done to investigate the problem (e.g. checking event logs)?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Sorry for the double posts. I won't do it again. The Backup is going through the LAN using syncsort backup exec. When reviewing the job log I see that as soon as data transfer starts exactly within two hours it gets a connection timeout error 10054. The tasks retries and again 2 hours 10054. Windows event viewer logs are clean. There are no vss and volsnap errors.

Got any Power options set to kick in after 120 minutes?

As per JJKing's reply, you need to go through all the power options. I had a similar issue where a PC was hibernating after x minutes. It was only after going through each of the power settings that I discovered this.
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Esp. look for hard drive being stopped, or the NIC having power removed to save power on the PC.
            MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **