No announcement yet.

Dual Boot XP/WIN 7 Problems

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Boot XP/WIN 7 Problems

I have a Dual-Boot XP/WIN 7 arrangement which , after working OK for several weeks has now begun to misbehave.

My PC has its No1 HD divided into Partitions C,D,E,F,G and H
    and its No2 HD into I,J,K,and L.

Incidentally , I realise that this is an excessive number of Partitions and it is my intention to drastically reduce this number after I get WIN running satisfactorally.

Initially , before I created the D.B. and installed WIN 7, the C drive was only 15 Gbts and , in order to make enough room for WIN 7 , I increased the size of the C drive by taking space from D drive ,thus creating a C drive of 15 Gbts with a new drive , now called the M drive , of 20 Gbts which was the target for the installation of WIN 7.

I use the Dual Boot to flick between both OS until such time as I become familiar with WIN 7.

In conjunction with this , I have made several Image Files with BING of both XP and WIN 7 and recently , when attempting to re-boot into a WIN 7 Image File using the D.B arrangement , the PC refused to boot into WIN 7 when this OS was selected with the WIN 7 I.F. chosen but instead insisted in booting only into XP

Another symptom of this anomaly is that , whenever this erroneous XP boot occurs it also changes the size of the specially created WIN 7 Partition ( M ) from 20 Gbts back to 15 Gbts plus 5 Gbts of Free Space.The XP Partition size remains at its original size of 15 Gbts.

Can anyone explain what has happened to cause this ?

Re: Dual Boot XP/WIN 7 Problems- NOW SOLVED!

I have managed to get this Dual Boot setup to work OK now by the use of a Partition Manager called "BootiT NT". Thank you.

Re: Dual Boot XP/WIN 7 Problems- NOW SOLVED!

Given the full availability of XP Mode, I would never dual boot 7 and XP any more.
      But well done for fixing it!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **