External Mic won't work in Windows 7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External Mic won't work in Windows 7

Ok, this should be an easy one, but I just can't resolve it..

I bought an external mic recently. It has a standard 3.5mm plug.

When I plug it into my Windows 7 Dell laptop (into the mic socket - I have check I'm putting it into the correct one), it recognises it & even displays it in the Control Panel sound settings as External Mic, but when I talk into it the green bar does not fluctuate (in sound settings still). It changes the external mic to the default recording device when I plug it in, but in its description it says "Currently Unavailable".

When I talk into the Internal mic built in to the laptop screen the green bar does fluctuate as expected for the item listed as Internal Mic.

I've checked the audio drivers in device manager and they are listed there with no problems reported. There are also no "Unknown" devices in device manager. I've reinstalled the audio drivers anyway as Administrator.

If I plug the external mic into a Windows XP laptop it works fine. I've been able to record sound with no problems.

The Model of the Widows 7 Laptop is Dell Vostro 1520. It came pre-installed with Windows 7 Pro 32 Bit. The version of audio drivers are the latest compared to the Dell web site.

Any thoughts?
    I've been using this online backup for all my photos, docs, spreadsheets, powerpoints & emails for years now & it works great.
    Go Here for their free 5GB: http://www.idrive.com/p=gavamm
    I upgraded to the Personal Plan for peace of mind for not much more than a cup of coffee.

Re: External Mic won't work in Windows 7

As well as the driver do you also have Soundmax or whatver the management application is? I've seen this type of behaviour on Dell desktops where the system always defaults to front panel microphone even if none is installed, and you do have one plugged into the back. Only the Dell application will allow you to change it as far as I can tell.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi cruachan,

Yep, Soundmax is installed.

It also switches fine between the internal/external mics when I add/remove the external mic.

Perhaps Dell will have a newer version of Soundmax available to install, maybe that will resolve the issue. I'll give that a try.

Cheers
      I've been using this online backup for all my photos, docs, spreadsheets, powerpoints & emails for years now & it works great.
      I upgraded to the Personal Plan for peace of mind for not much more than a cup of coffee.

Comment

My mistake, it's not installed.
        When I looked on the Dell drivers/software site for the model it's not listed, probably not used for this laptop..

Comment

Working...
        X