No announcement yet.

Not able tp ping

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not able tp ping

i am trying to ping from Windows 7 Pro machine to a windows vista business machine but its not working. The VNC is also installed on the windows 7 machine but its also not working.

i disabled the firewall and turn on the network discovery but still is no use,
    please advise.

thanks in advance.

Re: Not able tp ping

Connect them both to a network?
    Switch them on?

Without rather more information it is impossible to give a meaningful answer
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Both the system are connected to a domain and are on the network so for connectivity there is no issues, there is something related to the system only. If you require any other information please let me know.

could you tell me some more about the network, for instance, do you only have a single subnet?

what about multiple switches, or vlans ? is it possible there's some sort of ACLs in place on the switches/routers between segments ?

Can you connect to the VNC server from the VNC server itself?(just use telnet)
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Hi tehcamel,

There is only 1 single subnet and there are no ACL at all between the VLAN's. IP routing is there off course. There is only one core switch with four 24 ports line cards. When i connect the VNC server to the machine its self its connecting.

The issue is only when a Vista or windows 7 machine tries to ping that particular windows seven machine, its not pinging. Also it is not connecting through VNC.

If i try to ping that machine from any other XP machine its pinging as well as VNC is working fine.

Any other idea...

so, you only have a single subnet, but you're using routing ?

Sounds like it's a firewall profile policy one way or the other. The fact that the XP machine can ping, and the 7/XP can't strongly suggests to me that it's relating to a difference btween the two OSs and the major one is the increased firewall.

You may have outbound icmp blocked..
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point