Strange result of "ipconfig/all" cmd in WIN 7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange result of "ipconfig/all" cmd in WIN 7

I have been operating a LAN consisting of a desktop( dtop ) linked by Ethernet to the Web and a laptop (ltop) wirelessly linked to the dtop.
    The dtop had XP Pro 32bit and the ltop has WIN7 32 bit installed

Whenever I entered the command "ipconfig/all" into the cmd prompt of either machine in the past I got the usual result of the Host names of the respective machines together with their respective IP Addresses and those of the DNS Servers supplied by my ISP.

I have not had occasion to type this command for some weeks but recently , after changing the set-up of the dtop to a Dual-Boot XP/win7 64bit arrangement , I did type this into both machines when the dtop was in WIN 7 64bit situation and the ltop in WIN7 32bit.

This gave a totally different reply as shown by the two files attached here and commented on below.

dtop

1.Host name now changed to "password-dtop" from previous "dtop"
    2.IPAddress (IPv4) is now 192.168.1.3(Preferred)
    3.DNS Servers now changed to same as Gateway Address
    4.New references to "Tunnel adapters"

ltop

1.No host name at all shown here ( was "ltop" before )
    2.No IP Address shown ( was 192.168.1.109)
    3.Also references to "Tunnel adapters 105.6/8 and 107.

Question 1:-

What has caused these totally unexpected changes ?

Question 2.

How am I to ascertain both the host name and the IP Address of the ltop if "ipconfig/all" does now not produce this information ?

Question 3 .

Am I to assume that the IP Address of the ltop has also changed as did that of the dtop?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Wired; 5th September 2010, 01:40. Reason: fixed post

Re: Strange result of "ipconfig/all" cmd in WIN 7

A hostname change is usually something that you would manually change. The system can not do it on its own.

Have you installed any new software recently?

With regard to the IP address of the desktop, the IP info shows that DHCP is being used and autoconfiguration is enabled. The fact you have a different IP address implies some other device, which is also relying on DHCP for its IP address, may now have the address your desktop used to have.

Have you added a new device to your network? Another computer, or a networked storage device etc?

If your router that is running DHCP is working on the default settings it will give out IP addresses as they are requested. The only way to lock down an IP address so that it is always associated with the same device is to configure DHCP to assign one IP address to a MAC address. Your network card has a MAC address and this address is always sent to the router. When the router receives a request for an IP address it responds to the MAC address. If DHCP is configured to look out for that MAC address, then it will always be assigned the same address.

Have you changed the DHCP settings on your router?

Switch on all the devices that are connected to your home network, open a command prompt on your desktop and try to ping the IP address that the desktop used to have.

Also, what do you see when you open the network map on the Win7 laptop?
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

DHCP is not enabled on the laptop, ergo, no Dynamic IP.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        Missed that...

Comment

If your laptop refuses to hold its IP address after re-entering it you should reset IP by following the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Comment

OK I've now enabled DHCP on the ltop and entering "ipconfig/all" here gives the exact same reply as shown on the attached file "laptop ipconfig_all.txt"
            in my first post- i.e. still no IP information and still these references to "Tunnel adapters" which, as I already said , never appeared before when these two machines were connected as an XP/win7 LAN.

Comment

OK I've now enabled DHCP on the ltop with the exact same reply to the command "ipconfig/all" as already shown in the attached file "laptop ipconfig_all.txt" in my No1 post in this thread.

That is - still no IP information and still these references to "Tunnel adapters" which are completely new to me.

By the way , I may have posted this reply twice in error - if so - apologies!

Comment

Did you try resetting IP?

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
                  Did you try resetting IP?
                  I think I've found an answer to Question 2 in my original post. I discovered that you can increase the lines in the output to the command "ipconfig /all" by changing the LAYOUT setting on the Properties page . I increased it from the default setting of 300 lines enough to show the IP information.

I presume the answers to to my Questions 1 & 3 are due to the fact that I was using this command in WIN 7 this time instead of XP and was also getting results from IPv6 which I have not selected before.

Thanks again Blood for your input.

Comment

Working...
                  X