No announcement yet.

Windows random boot failure!?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows random boot failure!?

I have just Turned on my windows 7 ultimate laptop and it is now failing to get past the moving windows 7 logo after that it just reboots then comes up with a screen asking me if I want to run windows repair or start normally. I backed up my files about a month ago but not the os, what should I do?

I'm just worried because of all the programs that are on my laptop currently.

Re: Windows random boot failure!?

In theory Windows Repair is non-destructive but if you have access to another machine, consider removing the HDD from the laptop and backing up the data.

You can always reinstall your apps, can't you?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Just to enhance Ossian's post, I would use the Startup Recovery (it only deals with system files, so your files/applications should not be in danger).

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Thanks Guys,

I used the startup recovery and that didn't help, I then tried to use command prompt and use the "bootsect.exe" command with arguments but that didn't work either so I then went into my BIOS and changed the(I think) hard drive I/O driver from 'ACPI' to 'Compatibility' and it worked perfectly, so im not sure whats going on there.

But if I restart my computer, go into BIOS and change it back to 'ACPI' it has problems booting.

Thanks alot for your help

I wonder if its the SATA operation that would have caused this.

Did you change anything in the BIOS prior to the system failing???

On another note i remember many years ago having issues with ACPI but that was Windows 95.

Did you recently update drivers with iwnodws update or anything like that?
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point