Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automate configuration of Windows 7 backup?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automate configuration of Windows 7 backup?

We're looking into a way to auto-configure the Windows 7 Backup tool for a set number of users. We're open to scripting, or GPO, or whatever to do this. Might have to create an AutoIT script, I dunno The standard GPO (2003 AD BTW) only turns on/off basic settings, doesn't allow configuration of the backup tool. The reason we're looking into Windows 7 Backup is because it creates VHDs.

The only thing I've found on Google are the standard basic articles on how to use the tool, but not ways to activate it per se.

Has anyone ever looked into this?
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Automate configuration of Windows 7 backup?

As an addendum, I was thinking on how to deploy the VHD back to a blank drive. Enter WDS! Looks like you can mount a VHD using diskmgmt.msc. Then you can use imagex ("%programfiles%\Windows AIK\Tools\<CPU type>) to turn the VHD into a WIM. From there you can just install the WIM to a blank HDD using WDS. Also looked into native booting a VHD, but it doesn't seem like it's a true image to the drive. Still trying to figure out that one.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Automate configuration of Windows 7 backup?

Apparently you can restore the backup by simply booting off of the OS CD. Learn something new every day! Currently looking into creating a custom administrative template to push out a GPO that'll set up the backup settings like we want.
      Last edited by Wired; 30th August 2010, 16:48.

Comment

Working...
      X