Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a restricted IM client for internal communications

Hello,

We have a client in a very small environment consisting of two sites, with two computers in each site.

The client needs an IM solution, but the solution must support user restrictions. We must be able to restrict users from logging in using their personal IM accoutns and/or adding their friends.

Does anyone know of such a solution? I've googled around but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Gantlett; 17th August 2010, 08:13.

Re: Using a restricted IM client for internal communications

Have a look at openfire (server) / spark (client)
    Open Source so the price is right!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi and thanks for your reply!

I am actually using this combo at home and unfortunately Spark doesn't offer admin restrictions (unless I'm missing something).

I looked at the user settings in OpenFire and they only apply to administering the server (either allow or disallow).

Comment

Can you clarify what restrictions you want?
        Openfire will link to AD so will limit itself to AD users, not 3rd parties
        Alternatively you (as admin) can create user database
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Unfortunately the client's network is using local accounts, so no AD.
          Also, they don't have the capacity/resources to host their own server on-site. They only have 4 Windows client machines and they're all being used.

The restrictions I'm looking for are :
          1. Restrict the IM client to log in using a specified account and no other
          2. Prevent the user from adding contacts to the contacts list. This is so that we'll be able to use a public IM service but prevent the users from adding other contacts to the "buddies" list.
          Last edited by Gantlett; 17th August 2010, 10:36.

Comment

Working...
          X