Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website works in IE 11 when run as administrator, not normal user

Hi all

Not sure where to post this but here goes. We have a website that works as intended when IE 11 is "run as administrator" (right click option on iexplore.exe). But normal users the website doesn't do what it should. What is the best way to find out what the issue is? I'm guessing it is permission based (or Group Policy perhaps?) so any ideas? tried Process Monitor but going through that seemed like an absolute nightmare!

Thanks in advance

Chris
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Ok, so a bit more to the story....

A user in the domain who is a domain admin logs onto his computer and IE11 does what it should, web site works. Logs onto my PC and IE11 does not work. If we do "run as administrator" it works.

So I copied his account in AD, same group membership, same OU location etc... Log onto my PC and IE11 works! We do not use roaming profiles and both users had NEVER logged onto my PC. I checked Task Manager to see if somehow this new account was running IE with elevated privileges by default, but no.

Now I'm totally stumped! Not sure what avenue to go down next... Any ideas very welcome!!
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

If you moved objects in AD to new OUs, and/or changed group memberships of computers or users, and the behavior changed, then it sounds as if you need to take a look at Group Policy. In the GP management console, run the GP Results wizard and pick the PC and user account to check against. Compare those results against another machine and user where the IE11 doesn't work. Look in the Admin Templates \ Windows Components \ Internet Explorer section under both the Computer and then the User categories.
      *RicklesP*
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

I understand what you are getting at but the computer has not moved OU and the user I copied and it's copy live in the same OU?
        Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Is it your own web site or third party?
          What about other browsers?
          What about IE compatibility mode?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It is Moodle (php based virtual learning environment) but I also just created a simple html iteration of it on our local webserver and it does the same.

Chrome works fine, not sure about Firefox or Safari.

Compatability mode or changing rendering engine version makes no difference.
            Server 2000 MCP

Comment

OK, so you have ruled out the site...
              What about giving the user a brand new profile (I think you may already have done that)
              Can you also confirm:
              Normal users (all of them) - problem
              Local Admins -- ???
              Domain Admins - no problem (for all?)

Have you done a gpresult for problem and OK users and done a detailed comparison of IE settings in the GPO?
              What about other OSes?

Edit - have you considered sacrificing a virgin (if available)?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yeah deleted profiles, made no difference.

Any normal user it doesn't seem to work for.

Domain admins.... Well THE Administrator works (local and domain) and works for the odd domain admin but not others (odd eh?!). Making a normal user a domain admin doesn't work (but then doing "run as administrator" for IE works).

Making a local user an admin of the machine didn't work either.

I created a user in the "Users" cn in AD so only the default domain policy was applied (just password and audit settings in there) and that too didn't work so don't think it is GPO affecting the users.

I'm starting to think this will never work. What it is that I'm doing is embedding an Office 365 video into a website. You need to ckick "login" to watch the video. For some users the login is successful. Others it looks successful but it isn't. It keeps asking to login. Really annoying!!
                Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Ah... so it is a certain page only, and the rest of the site works as intended

Is the video available without login from other locations (should it be available without login)?
                  How is your O365 authentication done - federation or DirSync?
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Yeah just the embedded video which asks for a login.

You can log into Office 365 directly, click Video and browse to it fine. I'm not sure about the auth but the problem doesn't occur at that point. It is when you click login. A new IE window appears and it is that resulting window that is the problem. No matter what Office 365 credentials you enter, if it is using a Windows account that "doesn't work", it won't log you in.
                    Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Tempted to go with the simple solution - replace the embedded video with a link to open in a new tab / browser window. If you try that and it works, it provides a (non-optimum) fix
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

I'm starting to think that too. Just the staff/students like embedded videos. Can put them in assignments or quizzes, saves the student leaving the VLE site... But needs must.
                        Server 2000 MCP

Comment

How about this for a lol... My HOME Windows 10 laptop (not joined to a domain - regular pc) has the same issue!! Doesn't work as normal user but works when running IE/Edge/Whatever with "run as administrator"!!!!
                          Server 2000 MCP

Comment

So we've moved a step further on.... I've produced a screen capture video to show what happens. The problem is related to us using Office 365 Video (Microsoft's corporate YouTube if you like) - we are embedding the video into Moodle (our VLE). What happens is the embedded video requires the user to login using their Office 365 credentials to watch it. If the video is embedded in Moodle, the login process appears to work but doesn't (see first part of the video below). I've uploaded a simple web page to a public webserver and that DOES work (32 seconds into the video below). So today's discovery is that we think the problem may be related to Internet Explorer Zones as Moodle is categorised as 'Local Intranet' and the public webserver is 'Internet'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASr_8DOU3NE
                            Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Added the VLE to trusted sites... now works. FFS.
                              Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Working...
                              X