No announcement yet.

Windows update -- stuck

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows update -- stuck

Had to install a new hard drive in an HP Pavilion g6 notebook computer. Have retail Windows 7 Ultimate disk.
    Installed with no issue on new hard drive. Installed driver for LAN and was able to ping the internet fine.

1. Ran windows update. It downloaded an applied some updates. Rebooted. Repeat.
    2. At some point during the update cycle windows update asked to apply an update to Windows Update itself, claiming it was required.
    Let it. From this point forward (no matter what I've tried) it just searches for updates forever.

I have deleted the partition and started over, but the same thing happens. Since nothing else is installed and I have done nothing but windows updates I don't know
    what to do.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

After communing with the Oracle at for repairing Windows Update on Win7, I found this MS link:
    It's a tool they've made to fix the more common problems with Windows Update. Try that. The page also has links to more articles to pursue further if the tool itself doesn't resolve your problem.

Good luck.
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Thanks. When I did the first install I tried several of the things recommended in some links I found through google. Didn't work.
      I then wiped the computer and did a fresh install. That's the thing that is throwing me. This is a clean, brand new install and am doing the updates.
      Nothing else installed and no surfing or visiting websites.

I will re-run the 'fixer' in the linked page and follow some of those additional steps. Maybe it will work this time. Frankly I've never had this happen in years of
      windows installs and updates.

How long have you left it for? Have you tried leaving it overnight (disable power-saving options on laptop so it does not go to sleep/hibernate etc). Have you also run SFC /scannow (system file checker)?
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Where are the updates coming from - WSUS or direct from Microsoft?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Logs are your friend: C:\WINDOWS\windowsupdate.txt

The issue with Windows 7 updates is that LOG is clean and all repair tools showing no problem...
              Here is (should be) a real solution for all sufferers in the world . The internet is full of forums with the same question about Windows 7 UPDATE failure after using all imaginable workarounds...
              I just applied​ this official MS thing and launched update from MS. It is running for an hour and still searching. The LAST Convinience package should include all updates from day 1 of W7 up to April 2016. I want to see how it will finish... If not I will open the case with MS

Convenience rollup update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

This article describes a convenience rollup for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)-based and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1-based computers. This rollup package includes most updates that were released after the release of SP1 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, through April 2016. This convenience rollup is intended to make it easy to integrate fixes that were released after SP1 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. We recommend that you include this rollup package in the image creation process to make it easier to quickly set up a computer.
              "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis