• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple Boot?

I have three hard drives with installation as follows:
    Hard drive 1 - Windows XP
    Hard drive 2 - Windows Vista
    Hard drive 3 - Windows 7

I would like them to triple boot if possible. Is it possible, and if so, how is it done?

Re: Triple Boot?

155,000 people seem to have asked the same question:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...meta=&aq=f&oq=

But ask yourself why, with Virtual PC and XPMode, you really want to triple boot and not virtualise
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, I would prefer to triple boot but have been unable to do so.

When I install XP & Vista or XP & Win 7 I am fine.
      However when I add the 3rd OS, I lose the Boot Screen and and the system defaults to the last install.

How do I get arround this?

Also Win 7 adds a 100mb partition.

Ahyee

Comment

I would seriously consider running Vista in a Virtual. It runs (IMO) a lot better in a VM than on a physical machine. From memory, doesn't Vista add the 100Mb partition as well?

What is the reasoning behind the triple boot? With Windows 7 and VMs there is really no need for it.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Read this

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r217...ting-questions

Comment

I don't think these days, you'll get many people to support this idea of multi-booting especially with all of the virualization software that is now avaiable, and most of it for free.
            JM @ IT Training & Consulting
            http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

Do you have a feature in your bios that you can choose which drive to boot from each time machine boots?

Comment

The thought of Triple Booting came to me simply because I have both the hrdware and the software.

Thing is, that when a 3rd OS is added into the mix, I lose the Boot List.

Is there a work around?

Could you explain what is meant when you say "Virtualization?"

Thanks
                A

Comment

for Windows 7 XP Mode
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Virtualization? This is where you have Guest Operating systems running in within a HOST system. The simplest example would be to run a Windows Operating system as the host, say Windows XP, then install virtualization software such as Microsoft Virtual PC, or VMWare Workstation. Then, you would install other operating systems as "guests". These guests are contained as a single file on the hard disk. When you start up a guest system it runs from that single disk and uses the host's resources (CPU, memory, disk, etc...) You can run as many guests as your system has capacity for. They can all run at the same time or individually. You also have options related to network configuraiton. They can run on private networks, shared with the host's NIC(s), or in a NAT configuration with the Host. You may want to do some more research on your own.
                    JM @ IT Training & Consulting
                    http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

Working...
                    X