ROBOCOPY ISSUE WHEN FILES MOVED

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROBOCOPY ISSUE WHEN FILES MOVED

Greetings everyone and thanks for looking at my issue.

This weekend i migrated my in-house file server to an offsite hosting company.

i ran the following command from the new server to grab the old server data and robocpy it up to the new.

this is the command

ROBOCOPY \\10.x.x.x\sharename E:\Shared-Folders\shrednamematch /E /SEC /zb /a /r:1 /w:1

everything copied over except now i am getting several people who cant access the new share, i went in an checked the security perms, and they appear to be correct? any ideas of what i should look at or did incorrect? and how do i fix this, they cant access the new share, (SEE ATTACHMENT FOR ERROR)

right now i have 75 users on the new server and all get get to the new drive shares except a few.. they are all in AD securty groups, the others in the same group can get in with no issues.
    I have checked the share security perms and everyone has modify.
    i checked the folder of the share and the same security settings.
    i even drill down into the files and they also appear to have the same settings, a few people were getting read only on the files.

thanks
    Mike

Have you checked the SHARE permissions as well as the NTFS ones - some users getting Read Only sounds very like the default Share "Everyone Read"
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I went into share and storage management and made sure her group was their and under the permissions tab it has everyone full control. Then under the NFS permissions tab her group is in thier with full control.
      then went into the E drive were the share is located its called reports. right click on it go to the security tab and her team is in thier as full control.
      Then i wen to the same properties under the sharing tab >share>and her team permissions are thier too with read/write. then in the same advanced sharing tab i went into the permissions button.

this shouldnt be that difficult, once the permissions are set they should be ok.

Comment

Agree with your last
        Have you checked "effective permissions" (in the advanced security tab IIRC)?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i found this do you think its safe to run although i have moved all the shares over?

Comment

I imagine you would need to run the Hotfix BEFORE copying the SHARES. Are you able to recopy them all again after you apply the Hotfix? Also, nice find of the Hotfix. :thumbsup: (why don't we have a thumbsup smilie?)
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

not tonight.. its over 300GB id have to move it over the weekend again, but now if i move and old file its going to overnight the newer stuff, so technically i cant run this. I have to figure out another way and the only way i can think of is this weekend remove all the permissions for the share and redo them..

thanks on the find. it was in a tech-net forum on robocopy and i just grabbed it to place here in case anyone else needed it.

mike

Comment

Just to be pedantic, when you refer to "move" it over the weekend, do you mean move or copy? I will assume you mean copy (can't remember the Robocopy switches you have in the initial post and what they do) and the newer stuff is the new files that have been saved since the copy operation last weekend. There should be an option where you can recopy the old files again but not delete the new ones. Mmmm, was thinking that the SHARES would already be there but the Security Permissions are not applied. So, it would mean unsharing the SHARES on the new location and then Robocopying them again. The new files in the unshared SHARES could then be copied to their appropriate location and inherit the Permissions of the SHARE. If you move them they retain the Permissions of the previous folder.

Does that make any sense to you?

I wonder if you just copied the "old" folders and files to their new location if the Permissions would overwrite to present ones? That way any new files would not be deleted and all the previous old files would be over written with the new Permissions. Maybe Tom can figure out what I am trying to say and put it in to comprehensible words.

Mike, I hope this hasn't confused you too much. Apologies if it has and just ignore the above.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

thanks for writing back Biggies
                  i found the issue, it was mid level drive security access...

so i have drive labeled E data, and in the drive i have another folder labeled shared-folder, then in their 75 folders. The permission wasn't set on the shared-folder security tab, for some reason when i set robocopy to copy not move and with the /SEC (or copy security settings) it fully didn't copy over. I totally didn't even look at the folder because i thought they carried over, i checked top level drive e and then all the folders inside the share. love robocoy but next time i have to very careful and read over the commands to ensure i grab everything next migration.

ill also post these links just in case anyone needs them for future reference.

How to Use Robocopy to copy security information without copying any file data http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323275

Return codes that are used by the Robocopy utility in Windows Server 2008
                  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954404

You can also refer to:
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robocopy

thanks for all the help Biggies, it was greatly appreciated.

JK

Comment

Mike, glad you got it all sorted out and please my waffling didn't confuse you. Thanks for posting back with those links which I am sure will be of help to someone down the track.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X