IE 11 Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE 11 Problems

First off, I hate posting something like this because it's something I should be able to fix in all honesty. I have a client who is having major IE 11 issues. It started the other day when he would try to log into Yahoo to check his mail, the page would freeze. I log in and notice that IE does in fact freeze when accessing anything past the set homepage. This is what I did.

1) Rebooted into Safe Mode
    2) Ran cleaning scripts on his machine
    • Script 1 - @echo off

SET SRC1=C:\Documents and Settings
      SET SRC2=Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
      SET SRC3=Local Settings\History
      SET SRC4=Local Settings\Temp
      SET SRC5=Cookies

echo cleaning temporary internet files
      FOR /D %%X IN ("%SRC1%\*") DO FOR /D %%Y IN ("%%X\%SRC2%\*.*") DO RMDIR /S /Q "%%Y"

echo cleaning history
      FOR /D %%X IN ("%SRC1%\*") DO FOR /D %%Y IN ("%%X\%SRC3%\*.*") DO RMDIR /S /Q "%%Y"

echo cleaning windows temp files
      FOR /D %%X IN ("%SRC1%\*") DO FOR /D %%Y IN ("%%X\%SRC4%\*.*") DO RMDIR /S /Q "%%Y"
      FOR /D %%X IN ("%SRC1%\*") DO FOR %%Y IN ("%%X\%SRC3%\*.*") DO DEL /F /S /Q "%%Y"
      FOR /D %%X IN ("%SRC1%\*") DO FOR %%Y IN ("%%X\%SRC4%\*.*") DO DEL /F /S /Q "%%Y"

echo cleaning Cookies
      FOR /D %%X IN ("%SRC1%\*") DO FOR %%Y IN ("%%X\%SRC5%\*.*") DO DEL /F /S /Q "%%Y"

del /f /s /q "%windir%\temp"
      FOR /D %%X IN ("%windir%\temp\*") DO RMDIR /S /Q "%%X"

pause
    • Script 2 -@ECHO off
      DEL /F /S /Q %TEMP%

pause

3) reset his winsock
    4) Run JRT
    5) Run ADWCleaner
    6) Run MBAM
    7) Run Trojan Remover
    Run sfc /scannow
    9) Reboot in normal mode

Now, normally this clears up any problems I encounter. This time, however, IE didn't even start, it crashed as soon as I opened it and gave me the old "Your Last Browsing Session Closed Unexpectedly" and the option to Recover the webpage. The only problem with this is that IE was unresponsive to anything I would do.

So, thinking critically, I uninstalled IE 11. I downloaded IE 11 from Microsoft's website and attempted to install. It threw the old "IE can't install because a newer version is installed on your computer". So, I rebooted and ran this script - FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /quiet /norestart"

Now, I have no IE installed at all. I reboot and the system looks like it wants to do updates but it fails. I get it back up and running and IE 11 is back, although this appears to be a bastard, inbred version of IE since it works even worse than before.

Yes, I have Firefox installed, the problem is, this man is almost 70 years old and is very stuck in his ways.

I feel like I'm missing something and I refuse to do a wipe/reload for an IE issue.

Any ideas?
    I'd rather check my Facebook than face my checkbook...

Thanks,
    Todd

Virus / Browser Hijack?
    Can you tell us which OS it is and I will move the thread to the correct forum - you will probably get better support that way
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry, it's Win7 Pro 64 bit.

It's not acting like a virus which is why I didn't hit it with a full scanner yet. As far as Hijack, it very well could. I'm going to run Hijack This and get the results.

Thanks,
      Todd

Comment

You might want to give Malwarebytes a go - I've found it pretty good

Thread moved
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yeah, I ran MBAM and Trojan Remover, found some stuff but nothing that would cause this type of corruption/aggravation. I'll post my results later. Appreciate the assistance in getting me in the right location!

Thanks,
          Todd

Comment

What about running Spybot and Hitman Pro if the machine isn't joined to a Domain. Hitman Pro has a 30 day trial to non Domain devices. You might want to look at a Rootkit remover as well if the other options don't work.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Have you also tried removing the resident security software in case that was causing the problem?

If you want to try one more then EMSISoft has a comprehensive free offline scanner that will run from a USB stick in safe mode.
              http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/eek/
              A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I haven't run Spybot or Hitman, those will be next as I didn't think of them. I had stopped using Spybot about a year or so ago but will try it out. The machine isn't on a domain.

As for AV, I removed McAfee (Free) and put Avast, then I started thinking that Avast may have been the culprit since it really went to sh*t after the install, so I removed Avast. I've just got MSE on there now and will probably go with AVG once I get this nonsense straightened out.

This is what I get with the detailed info about the crash. Looking up the Problem Event Name is promising but not conclusive for troubleshooting as I've done most of what I find.

A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
                Problem Event Name: AppHangXProcB1
                Application Name: iexplore.exe
                Application Version: 11.0.9600.17937
                Application Timestamp: 55a7fb4f
                Hang Signature: e066
                Hang Type: 128
                Waiting on Application Name: taskhost.exe
                Waiting on Application Version: 6.1.7601.18010
                OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
                Locale ID: 1033
                Additional Hang Signature 1: e066dd984e6c44fbcd3c2acc3040553b
                Additional Hang Signature 2: b92d
                Additional Hang Signature 3: b92df30287c4ccc608121f5e2e843789
                Additional Hang Signature 4: e066
                Additional Hang Signature 5: e066dd984e6c44fbcd3c2acc3040553b
                Additional Hang Signature 6: b92d
                Additional Hang Signature 7: b92df30287c4ccc608121f5e2e843789

I'll try the USB stick scanner this afternoon when I'm at his location. I appreciate the feedback!

Thanks,
                Todd

Comment

You might also try resetting Winsock after uninstalling the resident AV/Firewall (and manually deleting the folders leftover that the 'uninstall' leaves behind).
                  A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
                  X