Windows 7 Media Center Studders when playing music from network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Media Center Studders when playing music from network

Gents - I have an issue that has been plaguing me for quite sometime. I have Windows 7 Media Center installed on a 32 bit machine. The machine is quite new 2. something gigaherts 4.0 gigabytes of ram. This is attached to a gigbit lan to my server. The issue when i play or stream Mp3 files from my server via the Windows Media Center, the music always stutters from time to time. Only for a second and at random times. I increased the network buffering in Windows Media Player to 60 seconds (I'm assuming that Media Center uses Media Player) however this does nothing. Movies & recorded shows some which are on the same server stream with no issue. Only Mp3s. Has anyone had this issue before?

Re: Windows 7 Media Center Studders when playing music from network

Check that there are enough resources available to play the files. I had this same issue with an XP PC playing music from iTunes and it was due to the PC not being powerful enough (2.8 P4, 1.5GB RAM), plus the PC was 5 years old.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

The PC power is more then enough. It's a dual core processer with over 4 gigs of RAM. Also there is no issue with watching movies, just playing music over the LAN. I'm sure it has something to do with buffering.

Comment

What happens when you copy the files to the PC and play them directly from there? Do they still stutter?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes the shuddering still occurs when the audio files are moved to the local hard drive. Also when I play the same files via the network via iTunes... no shuddering. I'm thinking maybe I need to install a codac.

Comment

Do you still experience stuttering sound when you play the MP3's on the local hard drive via iTunes?

You don't need a codec - if you were missing a codec, the audio files would not play at all.

Is your copy of WMP up to date? And, have you tried excluding MP3, AAC files etc and the WMP exe 'wmplayer.exe' from scanning by the resident antivirus?

[Edit]

What happens when you use VLC?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

VLC has all the codecs built-in so it will be interesting to see how your files play using that.
            Last edited by Blood; 17th August 2010, 13:01.

Comment

With VLC loaded there is no stuttering either playing MP3 files on the network or local. With iTunes there is no stuttering either playing MP3 files on the network or local. My Windows Media player is up to date.

Comment

Update DirectX 11 and see if the problem persists

http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-us...s/directx.aspx

Comment

I updated to the newest Active X. I think that the stuttering is less but it is still happening. Thanks for all of you suggestions. I think we're getting closer.

Comment

What other background processes are running on the machine? Do you have replication software running (GoBack) or similar?

Does the stuttering persist if you disable all your startup items and non-Microsoft services?

Comment

OK first thank you to everyone on the thread giving me great advice in solving this menacing and perplexing problem. As with most things the answer was quite simple. When I installed my sound card I must not have configured it properly. After I went through the wizard I noticed that there were several KHz settings that I failed to select that my surround sound system could indeed play. Once I reconfigured it the problem ended. Once again, thanks to everyone. Lesson learned. Don't take shortcuts... follow the wizard!!

Cheers.

Comment

Thanks for posting your solution

Comment

Working...
                        X