• Show
Clear All

• DataStore large and fragmented

Hi,

1. Windows Home Premium 64-bit
    2. C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore is 781MB
    3. SoftwareDistribution folder is 804 MB
    4. DataStore remains fragmented even after defragging C:
    5. What is best way to reduce the DataStore?

Questions:
    1. If I delete DataStore.edb will it rebuild installation history the next time I update?
    2. If I delete the SoftwareDistribution folder (or all its contents?) will it rebuild itself?

Thanks very much for any help!
    Janet

Deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder is possible (best practice to rename, then delete later: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...b-13f38126c588)
    The datastore is your update history - it can be deleted (see http://www.yethz.com/windows-7-tips/...indows-7/1772/)

Having said that, neither seems particularly large - 1.5Gb total is not a lot on most drives
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

DataStore: 893 / SoftwareDistribution: 2.2GB on my work PC
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

DataStore: 669MB / SoftwareDistribution: 1.57GB on my laptop.

The one that annoys me the most is the C:\Windows\winsxs folder. At present it is 10GB and I often run cleanmgr (in elevated Administrator mode) to clean it out. If you have a capacity issue try reducing that in size or were you more concerned about the SoftwareDistribution fragmentation? What are you using to defrag your HDD?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Might want to read this

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/.../dn251565.aspx

Comment

Hi Folks,

I usually get notified of any posts, but I did not receive notification of any of the posts on this thread..... Any idea why and what can I do to remedy this?

Any answers for the two questions asked in my original post:
            Questions:
            1. If I delete DataStore.edb will it rebuild installation history the next time I update?
            2. If I delete the SoftwareDistribution folder (or all its contents?) will it rebuild itself?

Comment

There's not a lot of point deleting datastore.edb as the system will rebuild it on the next boot and it will be the same size. You should never touch the softwaredistribution folder.

What would you like to achieve? Are you simply trying to free some storage space on your hard drive? Wullieb1's link to 'house keeping' on the WinSxS folder is your best bet, especially if you have never done this after installing a service pack.

Comment

1. Your update history will be gone forever.
                2. You can safely delete the entire SoftwareDistribution folder and it will be auto re-created when you restart the Windows update service or restart the computer.
                Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
                  1. Your update history will be gone forever.
                  2. You can safely delete the entire SoftwareDistribution folder and it will be auto re-created when you restart the Windows update service or restart the computer.
                  The info I was reading from Lawrence Garvin on a MS forum post was that the software distribution folder should never be touched. I understand that sometimes there may be no option when you have run out of troubleshooting ideas, but that does not seem to be the case here (I'm still uncertain what is needed here).

Comment

Working...
                  X