Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 On Acer Laptop

OK,

So I have this Acer Laptop (Acer Aspire 3000) which I broadly speaking hate because it's AMD and doesn't work with any Windows OS (including the one it shipped with, XP home) ... for some reason once I patched it it would lock (Windows 2000, Windows XP & Windows Vista). Yesterday I tried the 32 bit DVD that came with my Windows 7 disc and, though I haven't quite got it all OK (driver issues and such) it's looking hopeful.

My problem is finding the drivers because Acer don't appear to officially support either Windows 7 or Vista drivers for this system and then (assuming I can make it all work) I will need to buy a copy of Win 7 for it (unfortunately, as far as I can tell, you can't buy just the Windows 7 product key ... I have legal copies of both Windows 7 Pro and Home so it would be nice to just buy the key).

Anyway ... does anyone know where I can get drivers (I suppose they'll be unsupported) for an Acer 3000 laptop?

EDIT: OK, scratch that! It locked again (under Windows 7). It doesn't seem to do it under Linux but I'm really not that good with Linux so it joins a long line of AMD based systems that I have absolutely hated (I just don't get these issues with Intel CPU's) ... I can't explain this no matter how hard I try, I know I don't like AMD CPU's but logic tells me that they are popular, I can see that others like them (often prefer them to Intel) and they are [obviously] not in the business of making sub-standard CPU's but (for whatever reason) my experience of any system based on one of them is always really, really bad. Oh well!

Kyu
    Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 25th July 2010, 12:53.
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Windows 7 On Acer Laptop

What do you mean it locks up???

Is there anything in particualr that you are doing/running at the time of lockup???

What are the specs of the laptop???

Do Acer have any sort of diagnostics for the machine???

Comment

I love Acer but some of the laptops ran hot, mine did and froze when it overheated. Could be your problem, make sure it is getting enough air

Comment

I am not sure about AMD not working with windows comment!
        If it is the processor that's causing the issue then look in to see if all the fans work and maybe give the dust a "blow".
        The thing is that AMD processors (esp old generation ones) have always suffered from overheating.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Intel, generally, have produced cooler-running chips. And yes, in the past there have been issues with AMD CPUs - I'm sure we all remember the fun when Windows XP SP3 came out and suddenly a load of AMD users couldn't use their machines anymore.

Realistically, it's nowhere near as serious as "AMD doesn't work with Windows". But in my view, Intel have always produced better products, and that's why I don't consider AMD's offerings.

I could make similar arguements about nVidia vs ATI - I am and most likely will remain an nVidia user.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            What do you mean it locks up???

Is there anything in particualr that you are doing/running at the time of lockup???
            No ... this is just post build, usually it will boot one, maybe 2, times and then after that it will lock before I can even type in my password.

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            What are the specs of the laptop???

Do Acer have any sort of diagnostics for the machine???
            Nothing special (Sempron 1800+ IIRC, equiv. To 3200 or some such) but not really awful (1GB ram, 100Gb HD, 17" widescreen) ... good enough to run basic wireless, surfing and OpenOffice under anything up to Windows 7 I suspect. I have looked on the Acer site for diagnostics and can find none but I wouldn't be able to run it anyway because the machine would have locked up by then.

Originally posted by Joegromak View Post
            I love Acer but some of the laptops ran hot, mine did and froze when it overheated. Could be your problem, make sure it is getting enough air
            My best guess is that it isn't this because I had it sitting there perfectly fine in Safe Mode last night ... never locked, never went wrong. To my mind that hints at a particular piece of hardware being faulty or a driver for it being bad (I'm erring towards actual hardware because this effect is universal across all the versions of Windows I've tried) ... being a laptop (and way out of warranty) there's not much I can remove:
            * Hard Disc (unlikely because I have three of them and they all act the same way)
            * Memory (possibly but the fact that it works fine under Linux and in W7 Safe hints otherwise)
            * What appears to be a modem/wireless module which is removable (possible as Linux has no driver for it)
            * CDROM (it's a DVD/RW & checking in Safe Mode I am getting a shed load of errors from this ... could that be the issue?).

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
            I am not sure about AMD not working with windows comment!
            If it is the processor that's causing the issue then look in to see if all the fans work and maybe give the dust a "blow".
            The thing is that AMD processors (esp old generation ones) have always suffered from overheating.
            No I'm just whinging about AMD's ... I don't like them and never buy them (I inherited this one from my late brother near 4 years ago, about 2 years later someone gave me another one that wasn't working properly), I always get problems with them. But as I said logic tells me they are incredibly popular so [logically] they can't be a s bad as I think they are ... it's just a thing I have (and we all have them).

I have already taken the system apart and cleaned it (it had the problem before and after4)

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            Intel, generally, have produced cooler-running chips. And yes, in the past there have been issues with AMD CPUs - I'm sure we all remember the fun when Windows XP SP3 came out and suddenly a load of AMD users couldn't use their machines anymore.
            Well there's something I didn't know ... maybe that explains everything? It's a while back but I recall it worked with the basic XP Home SP2 build included with the system (the system is 4 or more years old) but not once SP3 was installed. Maybe then I should simply put the default install on and prevent all updates but protect it with some good AV stuff (typically I use ClamWin and MS Security Essentials)?

Realistically, it's nowhere near as serious as "AMD doesn't work with Windows". But in my view, Intel have always produced better products, and that's why I don't consider AMD's offerings.
            You won't get any disagreement from me

I could make similar arguements about nVidia vs ATI - I am and most likely will remain an nVidia user.
            Interestingly I vastly prefer ATI ... curious that innit?

Kyu
            Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 27th July 2010, 14:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
              Well there's something I didn't know ... maybe that explains everything? It's a while back but I recall it worked with the basic XP Home SP2 build included with the system (the system is 4 or more years old) but not once SP3 was installed. Maybe then I should simply put the default install on and prevent all updates but protect it with some good AV stuff (typically I use ClamWin and MS Security Essentials)?
              I strongly recommend against denying updates. If SP3 was going to kill your system, it would have done it immediately.

I wouldn't be able to run it anyway because the machine would have locked up by then.
              You'd boot from the diagnostic disk you downloaded.

Maybe try Memtest86+.
              Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I strongly recommend against denying updates. If SP3 was going to kill your system, it would have done it immediately.
                It pretty much did ... I never got the chance to log on after. If it is that I won't have much choice ... I'll make sure it's protected in other ways.

You'd boot from the diagnostic disk you downloaded.
                What diagnostic disk? I never saw one on the support site ... more to the point the support site has no support for Vista or Win 7, rather hints at issues beyond or during XP's reign doesn't it?

Maybe try Memtest86+.
                Will do

EDIT: Well, it doesn't look like the service pack thing, I've just done a base re-install using the provided ACER config and it locks up on first boot. I've switched the memory chips, switched them between the sockets and removed the only other removable module I can (I think it's a modem/wireless module) with no discernible difference).

Kyu
                Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 28th July 2010, 14:25.

Comment

I wouldn't be concerned about the lack of Windows 7 drivers. Once you do get it running you may find any lacking drivers will be found when you run Windows Update. Of course you will need the NIC working first. Would also suggest extra RAM to make 7 run much better.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    I wouldn't be concerned about the lack of Windows 7 drivers. Once you do get it running you may find any lacking drivers will be found when you run Windows Update. Of course you will need the NIC working first. Would also suggest extra RAM to make 7 run much better.
                    Maybe but only if it didn't lock up ... which it does in almost any configuration I've tried

I admit I am on the verge of giving up

Kyu

Comment

My problem is finding the drivers because Acer don't appear to officially support either Windows 7 or Vista drivers for this system
                      Have you resolved this issue?

My experience with Acer is that each processor is mapped to a specific operating system, and if you change it, Acer will be of no help and offer NO SUPPORT...
                      Dell Registered Partner
                      Acronis Fulfillment Partner
                      Netgear Powershift Partner
                      GFi Authorized Reseller
                      Check Point Partner

Comment

That'll probably be true of most of the other OEMs too, I certainly remember Compaq telling me that I'd have to reinstall their build of Windows XP on my laptop all those years ago, as my broken power supply could be caused by the Linux I'd installed. Had approximately 20 minutes battery left - anyone of you ever managed to install Windows that fast?
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by Spawn View Post
                          My experience with Acer is that each processor is mapped to a specific operating system, and if you change it, Acer will be of no help and offer NO SUPPORT...
                          I never realised they did that ... no matter, I've given up on it now.

Kyu

Comment

Used a multitude of Acer machines and have never found them to be lock to the O/S that they came with. Urban Legend busted!!
                            Last edited by biggles77; 10th August 2010, 00:22. Reason: Smilie added for some reason
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                              Used a multitude of Acer machines and have never found them to be lock to the O/S that they came with. Urban Legend busted!!
                              What urban legend? I'm only saying what happens with **this** laptop and it most definitely locks up under all versions of Windows (including the one it came with).

Last time I tried a Linux distro on it it worked however it didn't recognise all the hardware (such as networking) which leads me to believe there is a driver or physical fault in some hardware component (possibly networking related) ... or maybe all those Linux enthusiasts are right and Linux is actually a better OS [SHRUG]!

Kyu

Comment

Working...
                              X