Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 client joining to domain problems

Hi

Currently doing some work MDT to deploy Windows 7 enterprise to our machines in an automated way. I have used WDS to deploy the image via PXE boot and also used WISM to create an unattend file and also a winPE unattend file.

I am nearly close with it working but am having problems once the machine is live and ready to be used. From previous threads after a machine is sysprepped I wanted the machine to ask the user for a computer name but for all the rest for it to be all automatic e.g. regional settings, time etc which I have successfully done via the unattend xml file. I have even managed that once the image is deployed windows will ask the user for a computer name but once the machine is ready to be used and i attempt to login as a domain user i get the following message:

"The security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship"

I have tried rebooting and looking at various forum. One forum said it could be GPO setting at domain level to do with the 'primary DNS suffix' which could be set but when I look at settings its al set to not configured.

As the machine claims it was on the domain I checked in AD and in the computers OU the machine appeared in here. I have tried to disjoin the machine from the domain and put onto a workgroup and then rejoin it onto the domain and once this has been done it has worked but would rather i didnt need to do this to 400 machines.

Anyone else had this problem.

Thanks

Re: Windows 7 client joining to domain problems

For a user to log in with a Domain username, it have to be done from a machine that is also in the domain. From what I understand, you are trying to log in even before you have joined the computer to the domain, aren't you? This should not work (and you should get the message you posted earlier).
    It's OK for the installation to ask the user for a computer name, but you will need to create an account in AD with that name beforehand and to join the domain before the first log in.
    I hope I understood right what you did and what's the problem you got...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Sorry let me clarify as there is a confusion.

As part of the process of deploying the machine I have set it up so that the machine joins the domain (it asks for AD credentials and all the rest). Once this is done at some point during the process it asks what do you want to call this computer. I give it a name and then it continues through the rest of the process. It also adds the computer name into AD and populates it into the computers OU which it normally does for new name computers.

Problem is once it has finished installation it appears with the error mentioned earlier when trying to login as a domain user.

Comment

What your user may have to do the first time they log in is to use the following format on a Vista or Windows 7 computer:

DOMAIN NAME\user name on the user name line and the enter the password on the next line

When the computer has a new user you will have to use the "switch user" selection (other user?) and do the same for that. If you want to connect with a local user name you will have to use the LOCAL COMPUTER NAME\user name and then the password.

Log in systems on Vista and Windows 7 do not automatically include the domain name in passing the credentials.
        Last edited by Rastor9; 21st July 2010, 19:29.

Comment

Originally posted by ranjb View Post
          As part of the process of deploying the machine I have set it up so that the machine joins the domain (it asks for AD credentials and all the rest). Once this is done at some point during the process it asks what do you want to call this computer.
          You have the order mixed up here. You need first to ask for the computer name and only later to add it to the domain (for the computer to enroll with the right name).
          The error message you gave is usually encountered when a computer cannot authenticate against the AD (meaning: there's a problem with the computer account).
          Originally posted by Rastor9 View Post
          Log in systems on Vista and Windows 7 do not automatically include the domain name in passing the credentials.
          Actually, the domain name is not displayed together with the username. It shows up under the login text fields. And it always uses the last domain you logged in to (so, for repeat logins in the domain, one does not have to write the domain name time and time again).

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Working...
          X