XP 64-bit with 32 bit Apps ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP 64-bit with 32 bit Apps ?

I have a m/b which has a 64-bit capable processor but which has had only XP-32 bit installed so far.

I am about to upgrade the OS to WIN 7 and have all the reqirements necessary to install WIN 7 64-bit.

I would like to do this due to the increased capacity for adding RAM with the 64-bit OS.

If I do so , will all my 32-bit Apps still work with WIN 7 64-bit OS ?

Re: XP 64-bit with 34 bit Apps ?

Too vague to give you any specific answers, but in general yes. However as with any OS upgrade, you'll need to check with the application vendor to see if the app is compatible. If necessary, use XP mode.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I've yet to find an application I ran under xp x32 that won't run under x64 windows 7.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Likewise. The only problem I've had has been with hardware drivers.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Re: XP 64-bit with 32 bit Apps ?

I am using x64bit Windows7 both at home and at the office, and the same: had no issues so far. Actually, only minor, annoying issues (like Adobe's Flash that won't work on the 64 bit version of IE).
          I suggest you install and run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and check its report.
          BTW, I suggest you always try to install a 64bit version of the application, when available.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Re: XP 64-bit with 32 bit Apps ?

actcually, sorinso is correct- flashplayer won't work for x64 internet explorer.
            and last I was aware, Cisco were NOT releasing a 64bit client of their ipsec vpn client.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
            X