No announcement yet.

Windows 7 machines cant join domain

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 machines cant join domain

Hello after upgrading some workstations from XP to Windows 7 Enterprise; all Windows 7 workstations are logging in onto the domain with a temporary profile.
    How can this issue be corrected; thus profile changes would be committed to their respective profiles.
    Thank you.

Re: Windows 7 machines cant join domain

what have you done to investigate the problem?

are you using roaming profiles, mandatory profiles, or local profiles?

windows 7 and windows XP will use separate profile folders.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Did you tried to rejoin computers to domain ?

Let us know more info.

Thank you

Yes, I am currently using roaming profiles in my domain setup.

I tried rejoining the machines to the machines back to the domain after Windows 7 upgrade and it was successful.

The problem is that when that user who was using Windows XP earlier to load his profile, It logs him in with a Temporary Profile; thus all changes he or she makes to his personal domain profile is deleted after he/she logs off from the machine.

I personally read about deleting some SIDs from registry but I really want to be sure before making any changes to the workstations registry.

I need more clarification on this issue.
        Thank you.

This reminds me of a issue when we where beta testing Vista, where the server would see the XP profile, try to move it to the vista computer, but as the layout is different it would fail (or copy half the files, or only the folders, or create a new C:\Documents and Settings Folder...).

Sadly, we "fixed" it by making a new vista profile, then coping all the data to the right location.

Also, some problem shooting hints,

A) can a new, none roaming user log on and keep his profile?
          B) Can a New, Roaming user log on and keep/get his profile?
          C) Can a user who has a roaming profile, and has local admin rights, log on and retain there profile?
          D) Is it a possibilty to recreate the XP users profiles? (This is more asking how meny users are there, do we need to find a solution for 5 users, or 500).

If in asking for more details about a problem I seem to be rude, think about it this way, If I did not have to ask, I would not of been forced to be rude.

Please assume anything and everything I say to be wrong unless I have provided links and evidence, or you have done the same.
          IE: you blow your server up following my advice, not my bad

A OP is bad if I can go to and answer the question by pressing 4 buttons. "Ctrl +c, Ctrl +v".