CPU usage spikes to 100% or so for apparently no reason

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU usage spikes to 100% or so for apparently no reason

I have a Dell Studio 1450 with T6600 Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz processor, 4GB RAM, x64 Windows Home Premium and 320GB HDD in which ample space is available.

I have been facing the same issue for the last few weeks - the CPU usage spikes to 100% or so for apparently no reason. This happens when I have various applications running and with no applications running also.

At these times, the system simply freezes for a few seconds and recovering thereafter.

The 'processes' tab in the task manager shows nothing that is consuming all this CPU usage.

I have a licensed Mcaffee Security Center that came along with the laptop and is valid till Feb 2011.
    Last edited by neerajgs; 11th July 2010, 06:54.

Re: Physical Memory is at 50% even without applications running

Are you showing "processes from all users"?

If you are comfortable with perfmon you can set an alert at high CPU usage to see what processes are running at that time.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: CPU usage spikes to 100% or so for apparently no reason

neerajgs, with 31 posts you should know by now that we really dislike thread hijacks and you should ALWAYS start a new thread for your issue.

Thanks.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        neerajgs, with 31 posts you should know by now that we really dislike thread hijacks and you should ALWAYS start a new thread for your issue.

Thanks.
        Apologies. Shall bear in mind.

Comment

Well, the system is running great since yesterday or day before, and the problem seems to have solved itself. I suspect it had something to do with the updates.

Thanks all, anyway.

Comment

I would still be inclined to run something like MalwareBytes and a Root Kit Revealer on it just to be sure. Don't know what Mcaffee Security Center runs in it now but the last time I removed it from a laptop the boot time decreased by 5 minutes and 20 seconds!!

Does the Event Viewer say anything about this CPU spike? If nothing is showing in the Process column then I would be very suspicious of having something bad running on it somewhere.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

the CPU usage spikes to 100% or so for apparently no reason. This happens when I have various applications running and with no applications running also.
              When you say, no applications running, did you run MSconfig, and disable all Non Microsoft start up applications and services? If not, then you still had hundards of applications running in the back ground, inculding a AV, and Mcaffee at that.

First thing i would do would remove your current AV, see if that increases your proformance. Other then that, setup some monitoring to monitor what applications use what ram, CPU, CPU limit and CPU time. This will let you know if it is a single application killing the whole computer.

Also, a little known problem with some Dell laptops, the power saving firmware fails, and when it does its scan to see what power mode to be in, it locks the computer up, as it gets stuck. This can happen every 30 mins or so, but a easy way to test is remove the power cable with the machine running a basic benchtest, if it has a major hiccup, then update firmware.

Wofen
              Good to be back....

Comment

Working...
              X