Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB device not found on domain?

Hi all

I have a user on a laptop with Win 7 Pro.

They use a dictation software to quickly "type" emails and documents. This all worked fine for months.

Over the last week or so, he has found that it all still works perfectly from home, but as soon as he is in the office, the laptop cant even find the USB microphone?!

Confirmed it wasnt listed in device manager or Sound in Control panel, tried multiple USB ports.

I would normally say maybe the USB end from the device (hardwired in) is faulty but it works flawlessly from home...

What on earth could cause this behaviour?

User has local admin rights, and the software is NOT network dependant at all.

Dont even know where to start...

Re: USB device not found on domain?

Hi Hong,

Are you using the same built in microphone on the same laptop using the same login at home and in the office?

Ste
    Steven Roberts
    IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Yes to all.

It's not an internal mic though, I believe its a Phillips external mic that connects via USB.

Laptop IS domain joined but I cant see why this should make any difference.

Comment

Ok..

You log onto machine at home using cached domain profile and it works

You log onto machine in the office using cached domain profile and it works

You plug in a network cable and it stops working?

Sounds like something from the network is stopping the device running.

Do you have any device protection 3rd party software installed on the network?
        Do you have any strange group policies that seem to be applying? (although these would still be there on the cached profile)

If you are definitely using the same login at home and in the office then it will work int he office.

I would verify 100% with the user in question how he logs on at home. What I do, I give them the laptop not connected to anything and ask them to run through the exact steps here that he/she would run through at home..

The cached domain profile is exactly the same as the non cached one, unless there is a separate entity live on the network that is protecting the computers from unwanted hardware/software.

Weird

Ste
        Steven Roberts
        IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

You log onto machine at home using cached domain profile and it works

You log onto machine in the office using cached domain profile and it works

You plug in a network cable and it stops working?
          As far as I can tell, yes.

Very basic set up, not much more than the default GPO's applied. Nothing has been knowingly changed between this working and not working...

He's going to call me in the next week or so from home so I can see him runnng through it when it works.

Thanks buddy

Comment

Working...
          X