Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Memory is at 50% even without applications running

Hi Guys,

I have just bought my new acer laptop timeline 3820T. (i3-350M processor, 2G Ram, 2.26Ghz) running on windows 7 home premium.

I have just noticed that when I boot up the pc without running any applications, the physical memory is already running at 50%, there are a total of 81 processes looking at the taskmgr window. Isn't that a bit too high?

I have tried unchecking some startup items but it doesn't make a different. Anyone has the same encounter? Or any microsoft expert who can clarify this?

Thank you.

Kel

Re: Physical Memory is at 50% even without applications running

Keep in mind that if you're still running the OEM installation the laptop came with, there'll be all of Acer's utilities running, which will contribute to the memory footprint.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

With just 2GB RAM, 50% sounds about right. Might be worth investing in some extra RAM, 1GB if you have a 32bit O/S or 2GB if you have the 64bit version.

Don't forget to have a look in the Advanced Boot Options and make sure the laptop is booting off all 4 cores. Makes a substantial increase in boot speed (or decrease in boot time).
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It seems slightly higher than usual with no foreground apps running, however is hard to tell without an insight of the background processes.
        What is the worst offenders out of the running processes?
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Hi basically it does not impact anything except that the speed of processing is a bit slow.

Comment

How much CPU % is being used?
            What is using it the most?
            Have you run any spyware/malware app on it?
            What anti virus have you installed on the machine?
            Uninstall all the unnecessary Acer crap that they lumber the laptop with.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

first thing i usually do with a laptop is blow away their crap and do my own clean, fresh install.

the other thing, as pointed out, is although 2GB is adequate, it's low. Adding more RAM would be great. It just depends on what your memory configuration is.
              If it's got 2x1GB, then you may not be able to add much more. Depends on the brand. However, if you only have 1x2GB, then another 2GB chip would be fantastic (because you'll also get paired ram, or double channel, whatever th buzz word is now)
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Keep in mind that to get dual channel operation, you need matching pairs. And since Acer tend to opt for cheaper, slower RAM, and given the cost of memory these days, I'd be inclined to just buy a new pair of 2GB modules rather than trying to get one to match the existing chip.

However, I fully agree that the first thing one does with a PC is wipe the OEM installation away

Especially if it's from a manufacturer that thinks everyone loves Norton...
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                X