monitoring application

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monitoring application

Hi, I have W7-obviously, and a small problem. I use everything as search engine. (http://www.voidtools.com/) I put in the preferences that i want it to start when windows starts, put admin rights on the exe, and it still doesn't start. When I start it manually, it stops after a while. I'd like to know how to monitor such behavior, a small app that looks at this particular exe and tells me what makes it stop.
    Many thanks

Re: monitoring application

the application may generate it's own logs...
    otherwise you might be able to try somerthing like procmon, or review system event logs.

otherwise,y ou'd need to speak to the application developer and ask them for assistance
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I use this on my Win7 machine at home and it runs without problems.

In the meantime, can you tell us if it used to work? If it did, have you installed anything recently that may interfere with it? I'm not sure how Everything works, but it may access the Master File table as the results from it's initial configuration are nearly instant.

Do you have any security software that monitors drive access, or looks for potentially dodgy application behaviour? If so, try adding Everything to its exclusion list.
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Nothing in event viewer, and it's hard for me to say if I installed something after. I tried to un/re/install it same thing. And it has it's own log which has lines like this :
        23.06.10 18:55:25: Everything 1.2.1.371: .\src\db.cpp(18251): db::_update_drive(): DeviceIoControl(0x000001a8,FSCTL_READ_USN_JOURNAL, 0x0272fb54,40,0x0272ff7c,65536,0x0272fb50,0x000000 00): GetLastError(): 21

And it's just chinese to me....
        I'll try procmon on it, I didn't think of that one - or the old filemon.

@Blood : It worked, yes, and I certainly installed some stuff, (like office 2010, just one example) and I just have Symantec endpoint, I'll try to add everything in the "accepted" apps. (sorry for my English, I'm French speaking Swiss . I'll let you know

Comment

Can we get more of that error log, some of us speak chineses.

But I dropped that into google and found this..

http://forum.voidtools.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=816

Dont know if that will help.

Also, Have you disabled UAC, and have you tried any of the compatibilty modes?

But give us some more of its error logs simply becuse this line
          Code:
          DeviceIoControl(0x000001a8,FSCTL_READ_USN_JOURNAL, 0x0272fb54,40,0x0272ff7c,65536,0x0272fb50,0x000000 00): GetLastError(): 21
          Makes it look like the controller its using is unable to see the User Journal, and thats killing it. At lest thats what I see from that line, but I have no idea what Everything is, except a search applet.

As a side question... is it needed with windows 7 built in search index?

EDIT: Umm, I see how that could be of use, will have to go have a looksie.

Wofen
          Last edited by Wofen; 1st July 2010, 00:06.
          Good to be back....

Comment

@Wolfen:
            When you start Search Everything it creates a catalog of every single file on all the hard drives on your computer. It does this within seconds. After it opens, you see an alphabetical list of files, and a 'search' bar at the top. As you type the file name to search for, so the file list in the lower pane narrows, reflecting your search query. It does not do a manual search for your file as Windows Search does, and cannot search within files.

It is an amazingly useful tool.
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Ok, here it is for the Chinese. I delete the log file to start one new, I had this behavior again, and here is the log file:
              Code:
              28.06.10 19:04:34: Everything 1.2.1.371: .\src\db.cpp(18251): db::_update_drive(): DeviceIoControl(0x00000278,FSCTL_READ_USN_JOURNAL,0x0204fb54,40,0x0204ff7c,65536,0x0204fb50,0x00000000): GetLastError(): 21
              29.06.10 08:49:09: Everything 1.2.1.371: d:\dev\everything\src\mu.h(1094): mu::ShellExecuteExUTF8_idlist(): ShellExecuteExW(): GetLastError(): 1156: failed to execute
              29.06.10 15:21:41: Everything 1.2.1.371: .\src\db.cpp(18251): db::_update_drive(): DeviceIoControl(0x00000274,FSCTL_READ_USN_JOURNAL,0x0500fb54,40,0x0500ff7c,65536,0x0500fb50,0x00000000): GetLastError(): 21
              02.07.10 08:47:47: Everything 1.2.1.371: .\src\update.cpp(218): update::_download_version_proc(): getaddrinfo(): Host not found.
              Thanks for the translation... And yes I need everything even with the windows search engine.
              Last edited by Rems; 5th July 2010, 10:49.

Comment

It looks like its trying ot proform a update (be it a software update, or just a update of the hard drive contents), is unable to contact the server, and has locked up.

There should be more to the event log then that, as thats the error codes, but not what it was doing at that time.

A few things,
                A) UAC is off, right?
                B) When you run the Everything exe, you Shift right click, and go , Run As "Admin"
                C) Check the Folders that Everything makes when installing. The Win7 user folder stucture is very different from XP.
                D) Check if Sysmantec Endpoint has a On access scanner, if it does disable it. For testing, I would actuly completely disable the program (possibly uninstall, as disabling Symantec is a pain).

Wofen
                Good to be back....

Comment

Originally posted by Simoncu View Post
                  [CODE]
                  29.06.10 08:49:09: Everything 1.2.1.371: d:\dev\everything\src\mu.h(1094): mu::ShellExecuteExUTF8_idlist(): ShellExecuteExW(): GetLastError(): 1156: failed to execute
                  Here is something more, (didn't have time to come back on this) I just saw that it's looking in my d drive d:\dev etc..) I don't have - never had - a dir called dev on my D: dirve... where does this comes from ?
                  And now, it don't autostart (even if I put it in the startup menu - and check start on system startup) but stays there all the time ( for now...)

Comment

Working...
                  X