Configure TCP/IP to use DHCP and a Static IP Address at the Same Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configure TCP/IP to use DHCP and a Static IP Address at the Same Time

Hi is there any way you could do this in Windows 7?
    Tried with regedit and it did not work in Windows 7, but with xp it works good.

Re: Configure TCP/IP to use DHCP and a Static IP Address at the Same Time

So to clarify, you want one network adaptor to both get a DHCP address and have an additional static address?

How did you achieve this under XP?

How have you tried to achieve this under 7, and what happened?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yes i want it just like that.

I used regedit to do it. Using step by step guide on this web page.

I tried using same method with windows 7, but it did not work. It just fails to give me that additional ip address.
      Last edited by Lepanokka; 27th June 2010, 14:48.

Comment

Do you mean the Alternate IP screen or what Gareth said, 2 IPs on the same NIC at the some time; 1 Static and 1 from a DHCP source.

Click image for larger version

Name:	alternate-IP-1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	464498 Click image for larger version

Name:	alternate-IP-2.JPG
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	464499 OR Click image for larger version

Name:	alternate-IP-3.JPG
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	464500
        Last edited by biggles77; 27th June 2010, 14:59.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I mean what Gareth said. Two IPs same time on one NIC one from DHCP source and one static.

Comment

Sod it, edited post and then you post a reply.

I still don't know what you are wanting except a Static & Dynamic IP on the 1 NIC.
            Do you want to use BOTH Static and Dynamic IPs at the same time?
            Are both IPs on the same Subnet?

Tell us what you are trying to achieve so we can see what you want to get to work.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I know that you can configure multiple static IPs on an adaptor.
              I know that you can configure A static IP for if DHCP fails on an adaptor
              I know you can configure dhcp on an adaptor
              I know you can configure static addressing on an adaptor.

I've never heard of, nor could think of any reason for, the configuration of both a dynamic address, and also a fixed static address.
              usually DHCP does the addressing and that's that - theres no other way to configure it
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I want to use BOTH Static and Dynamic IPs at the same time on same NIC.

Static with different Subnet than Dynamic Ip.

So Static ip will be like 192.168.0.144 on first Pc and second will use 192.168.0.145 and 255.255.255.0 subnet. These will make Lan connection. DHCP gives Differennt Wan Dynamic Ip on both PCs using 255.255.252.0 subnet for internet connection.

Comment

My experience leads me to beleive this is simply not possible, using only a single physical adaptor.

However, if someone is able to demonstrate to me an instance where this has occured, then I'll gladly listen.
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

With Windows Xp it is possible with registery editing information for NIC.

Link here for step by step guide.
                    http://www.petri.com/configure_tcp_i..._same_time.htm

Comment

Are you using the PC for NAT?
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Begging the question... why do you want to do this with 1 NIC, rather than a separate NIC for each address?
                        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I would be surprised if you could do this in windows 7, as it goes againts everything I have been taught about networking, and to me, sounds like a really dodgy way to have it cut over on a fail.

Have you tried to achive the same thing by setting a alt configuration? As the second you lose DHCP, it will cut over to the static IP set in the Alt Config.

Also, what are you trying to achive? Trying to setup some funky Firewall, or are you just trying to fool a piece of software that your computer has 2 NICs. As by the sounds of it, your not using it to try and run on 2 different subnet networks at once, so I can not think of anything else that can not be achived via the ideas given below.

So Static ip will be like 192.168.0.144 on first Pc and second will use 192.168.0.145 and 255.255.255.0 subnet. These will make Lan connection. DHCP gives Differennt Wan Dynamic Ip on both PCs using 255.255.252.0 subnet for internet connection.
                          From this para, I get the following,
                          2 Computers on a local network, with a Cable/DSL Modem Giving internet access. You want to set the LAN connection using static IPs and the WAN using Dynamic.

Whats your DHCP server? If the WAN is a dynamic, are you trying to get a IP from the ISP?

Wofen
                          Good to be back....

Comment

Iam using it to run two different subnet networks at once too.
                            Dsl modem in bridge mode, will give me internet access with two different dynamic ip. One for first pc and other for second pc, straight from ISP.

Static Ip will be used to get Lan connection on both PCs, so basicly its like NAT connection without using NAT mode in Dsl modem.

Btw i tried using Hamachi to setup lan connection it gave me 100/100 lan connection for a while, but then it suddenly stopped connecting to the other Pc.

Comment

Why not use a router?
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X